Land Rover Defender 90 question

  • Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
1,354
9
49
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
For all those owners of the Solihull Spawn Of Satan, I have a couple of questions.

Does the 200TDi have a foldable front window like the earlier TD models? I understand the 300 TDi does not?? How does this work? If the doors were removed, would this leave a frame upright, or would the windscreen just drop forward leaving nothing?

Is it easy to remove the doors, and can just the top window bit be removed leaving nothin else?

Do the roofs unbolt or easily remove on all 90 models of TD or 200TDi vinrage? can it be easily replaced if need be?

Basically, I'm toying with the idea of a 90 TD/200TDi (preferably 200 TDi) set up like the old style Jeep with folding screen, no doors or roof. Bit like an RDV.

Is it possible and what do you think?
 

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
2,271
38
South Marches
Spacemonkey said:
For all those owners of the Solihull Spawn Of Satan, I have a couple of questions.

Does the 200TDi have a foldable front window like the earlier TD models? I understand the 300 TDi does not?? How does this work? If the doors were removed, would this leave a frame upright, or would the windscreen just drop forward leaving nothing?

A lot of the windscreens are removable by undoing a couple of nuts inside the cab, but you need a windscreen support bracket or two on the bonnet unless you remove it completely. If you check the external bulk head below the wind screen and by the door pillars you will see hinges at each side.



Is it easy to remove the doors, and can just the top window bit be removed leaving nothin else?

Most doors are easily removable with just 4 hinge screws/bolts to come out.
Doors are generally one piece, except the military versions.



Do the roofs unbolt or easily remove on all 90 models of TD or 200TDi vinrage? can it be easily replaced if need be?

Depends on the model, CSW, Truck cabs etc etc but you might need an angle grinder on some of the fixings


Basically, I'm toying with the idea of a 90 TD/200TDi (preferably 200 TDi) set up like the old style Jeep with folding screen, no doors or roof. Bit like an RDV.

Is it possible and what do you think?

Most things are possible with a Land rover, and make sure you get a roll bar over the top to protect your head and a pair of goggles to save your eyes.

Above all, have fun and enjoy.

LS
 

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
1,354
9
49
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Thanks for replying. Appreciated..

Yes, I agree about eye protection for screen down action, and the roll bars. Undecided between RDV style rear cage (without mount ring of course..) or twin roll bars behind front seats like I have seen in the Landy mags. My MX5 doesn't have a roll bar, but I don't take it off road much! (Have gently green laned it a little bit though!!)

So does the 200TDi have the folding screen that you know?
 

swyn

Full Member
Nov 24, 2004
846
5
62
Eastwards!
The 200 series had some folding and some not depending on the age. Along with the split doors. If not, hinged replacements are common at such places as The Old Sodbury Sortout nr Newbury. £5 for the pair and presto the screen folds.....Although I can't remember about the wipers sitting here! No, it won't just drop forward if the roof is unbolted (easy if all the bolts undo). It is held with two turn down bolts on the bottom corners. Other parts will fit as they are common, in particular the army 90 rag top clips that hold the canvas to the screen etc. It is just a question of finding a good stockist. I can recommend Dingocroft in High Wycombe as I get my spares from them (business relationship only)
I think the only snag would be the one piece doors with the roll down windows as the top frame would not be removable. The door could be removed completely and perhaps replaced with a chain to stop occupants falling out! Split doors are a rarity for this reason.
An ex army 90 non turbo is a slow old thing but interestingly when driving a friends out of London along The Embankment last year with the headlights on some vehicles moved out of the way!! And no it was not my terrible driving!
If you do not do long journeys and do not want to get somewhere in a hurry I would consider an ex army rag top 90 as they are common, cheap and usually in reasonable condition. The gearboxes do not suffer with the problems that their more powerful cousins have especially the high milers say 140,000+ ie a rebulid with £500 worth of parts alone without labour.
But, horses for courses. Hope this helps a little...
Swyn.
PS. The 200 engine was the best apart from doing the timing belt! S
 

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
2,271
38
South Marches
swyn said:
The 200 series had some folding and some not depending on the age. Along with the split doors. If not, hinged replacements are common at such places as The Old Sodbury Sortout nr Newbury. £5 for the pair and presto the screen folds.....Although I can't remember about the wipers sitting here! No, it won't just drop forward if the roof is unbolted (easy if all the bolts undo). It is held with two turn down bolts on the bottom corners. Other parts will fit as they are common, in particular the army 90 rag top clips that hold the canvas to the screen etc. It is just a question of finding a good stockist. I can recommend Dingocroft in High Wycombe as I get my spares from them (business relationship only)
I think the only snag would be the one piece doors with the roll down windows as the top frame would not be removable. The door could be removed completely and perhaps replaced with a chain to stop occupants falling out! Split doors are a rarity for this reason.
An ex army 90 non turbo is a slow old thing but interestingly when driving a friends out of London along The Embankment last year with the headlights on some vehicles moved out of the way!! And no it was not my terrible driving!
If you do not do long journeys and do not want to get somewhere in a hurry I would consider an ex army rag top 90 as they are common, cheap and usually in reasonable condition. The gearboxes do not suffer with the problems that their more powerful cousins have especially the high milers say 140,000+ ie a rebulid with £500 worth of parts alone without labour.
But, horses for courses. Hope this helps a little...
Swyn.
PS. The 200 engine was the best apart from doing the timing belt! S



Does it look like this one? Do you see the hinges to the side of the front passenger air grilles?
If it has these the wind screen will drop.

LS
 

swyn

Full Member
Nov 24, 2004
846
5
62
Eastwards!
Yes, these are easily replaced with the older version and this will allow the screen to hinge forward. NB in removing the hinges and replacing with solid pieces there was also a move to not fit the turn down bolts that hold the screen upright although the lugs remain!!!! this seemed to be a rolling programme so can't do the dates!
I see this is 92 J so there should be lugs on the inside and possibly the turndowns.
It sounds complicated but in reality is just getting the right bits fitted!
Swyn.
PS just another thought. Remember that if you do have hinges fittwed they may well be seized so be careful.
 

swyn

Full Member
Nov 24, 2004
846
5
62
Eastwards!
I have just looked at a 300 series c'95 and yes the lugs are there for the turn down bits and I know they are there on a 200. The non-hinges are held to the screen with one bolt through them and the bulkhead by two so three in all each side. The retro fit hinges and turndown bolts will have to be sourced from either your wanderings or through people like Dingocroft.
With the hinge parts being aluminium and steel mix be careful as things will almost certainly be seized. This is one of the rust areas on LR's it is also an opportunity to spray in some rust preventer too, ditto when you get the door hinges off as this gives good access to the innards of the bulkhead.

About the split doors. There is a company that makes the tops as the original ones dissolve over the years and then the glass falls out! I saw them at Sodbury Sortout some years ago and was impressed with the quality. They are made for all Series and the 90/110 split door models. So perhaps this idea is not as difficult as I thought. Just legwork oh, and glass..... etc!

Finally as L.S importantly sugested, fit a roll bar. The military ones are obviously the easy option as the seatbelt mountings are then all in place and the bits and pieces to fit the roof frame. This is fitted to my friends one.
Which I have also remembered does NOT have power steering!

Have fun with this Spacemonkey. :D
Swyn.
 

Spikey DaPikey

Full Member
Feb 8, 2006
2,429
12
50
North West, near the land of the Pies
Me want this one :notworthy :drive: :red: :approve:

Tomb-01.jpg
 

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
212
0
42
Glasgow
I would love a LR 90. Too skint thou. Just wondered whats a good price to pick one up at, and what models are worth getting?
 

Martyn

New Member
Aug 7, 2003
5,252
31
55
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Spikey DaPikey said:
I do like Landrovers, always have, just shame there too thirsty on the juice..

One day..... :rolleyes:

I'm a convert.

After what can only be described as an enormous amount of emotional gymnastics, my brain gave way to my heart and I bought one. This was a really big thing for me, because I've wanted one for as long as I can remember, but at the same time they are not the most environmentally friendly of vehicles and I have had a hard time rationalising the purchase. I've even been quite anti-land rover on these forums, I learned something about myself, I am indeed a world class hypocrit. :D

It came down to this....

You have one life, then you die and it's gone for ever!!!!

My new toy as of 3 weeks ago...

TONGA901.jpg


I'm getting about 28mpg round town, but it depends very much how you drive it. I believe the Tdi's are more economical though not as powerful.
 

swyn

Full Member
Nov 24, 2004
846
5
62
Eastwards!
That is very nice Martyn! I bet you have grin factor ten even when you are asleep! Remember to keep a toothpick close by to remove the flys!
Swyn.
 

Martyn

New Member
Aug 7, 2003
5,252
31
55
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
swyn said:
That is very nice Martyn! I bet you have grin factor ten even when you are asleep! Remember to keep a toothpick close by to remove the flys!
Swyn.

I havent stopped grinning since I bought it mate, I havent stopped spending either. :lol:


I'm very surprised by how civilised it is, though the turning circle is much bigger than a car, making parking a bit harder and the clutch - my god the clutch - do all Land Rover owners walk in circles. :D

On that point, If anyone knows any tricks for easing off the clutch a bit, I'd be eternally grateful. :D

I havent (seriously) off-roaded it yet, though I've been driving for 22 years I'm as green as grass with off road stuff. I'm gonna have a couple of propper off-roading leassons in the new year just to put me on the right track.
 

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
104
0
46
North Lancashire
question is what did Lara Croft want with a load of copper water pipe in the jungle??

or was she some sort of ultra hardcore SAS plumber on the side?? :lmao:






if you're confused look at the side of the rack next to the roof boxes
 

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.