Land Rover Defender 90 question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Was with you right up to the point about "Land Rovers are generally reliable". As a person who has had more than one, and Toyota Land Crusiers for decades, I'd say I've had 10 Land Rover problems for every one Toyota one. They are unsurpassed off road, no doubt about it, and the simplicity of their construction is a joy. Build quality could and should be improved though. Still worth having, but it is an issue worth considering if ultimate reliability is the goal

Red

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The land rover may have a history of poor reliability and it may be well founded, but most of the Landcruisers I see on the roads today, seem to be made after 1990, on the other hand, most of the Land Rovers seem to be at least that old. Maybe it's just that the other makes have historically reached the point of economic write-offs, before they get old and battered enough to be known as unreliable? I think if you are assessing reliability, you have to compare year for year, new for new or old for old to be fair. Dont really hear folks moaning about Td5 reliability and it's been around for 8 or 9 years now.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Try looking at Landcruisers in some of the gulf states! I won't even bring up the longevity of Hilux trucks!

Red

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You are probably right Red, still dont see many of these on the road though...

TBJ40.JPG

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
The vehicles in the gulf states don't have to put up with constant wet though. And you probably see more same age series Land Rovers on the road over here.
It is up to personal choice and opinion really.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
This is my heavily modified old girl, she has a pivoting waterproof roof that lifts up to give adequate head room for all weather vermin control. weather treated hessian side flaps roll up to keep out the driving wind and rain when necessary. She has (fox/rabbit) carrying boxes fitted at the front and rear with bottom drainage. The seats have been removed inside on one side to the rear to make room for 'gear' and there are umpteen lamp sockets inside for all manner of lamps of different colours and powers. There are two gun carrying boxes fitted on either side at the top to ensure that both big and small rifles are always close at hand when needed. The bull bars on the front are home made and I wouldn't fancy a bulldozers chances let alone a bull :D We call her 'The Verminator' and she has earnt herself quite a reputation locally among keepers and farmers alike :) . She took eight years of trial and error before she became the ultimate lamping vehicle but now she is spot on and I have yet to see another one like her!

I appreciate that the photo may not be to everyone's taste so I will understand if the mods deem that it should be moved/removed

Untitled-1copy.jpg

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Martyn said:
most of the Landcruisers I see on the roads today, seem to be made after 1990, on the other hand, most of the Land Rovers seem to be at least that old. Maybe it's just that the other makes have historically reached the point of economic write-offs, before they get old and battered enough to be known as unreliable?

Toyota have never officially imported utility Landcruisers into the UK, and they only started importing smaller turbocharged diesels in the late eighties which probably explains why there aren't many about. Elsewhere in the world there are lots of twenty to thirty year old Landcruisers still working. http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/sea...region=100&searchtype=all&&page=2&sort_order= I did consider buying a Landscruiser after I sold my Td5 110 but decided on a 90 instead as Land Rover spares are much cheaper....this is the point where the Delcia fan club will probably say "But if you went Japanese you wouldn't need to keep on replacing faulty components..." :D Toyota don't seem to sell Landcruisers in India, instead they sell the Qualis which is a less macho but much more economical alternative...http://auto.indiamart.com/cars/toyota-qualis/

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
havingagiraffe said:
These are more fun...http://www.mahindra.com/mahindras/automotive/NC640DP.htm usually seen with unfeasibly large meash cage bolted to the back to increase carrying capacity. Folding windscreen as standard :) but less than half the power of a 110 :(

My goodness, Mahindra, that takes me back - they use to have a "red indian" as their logo IIRC, presumable because that was a cooler type of "indian"? Anyway, even the guy who worked in the dealership I knew reaconed they were a bag of c**p.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Land Rovers break but are cheap and easy to fix, are easy to modify and change around. Plus they have/had better articulation in factory form which is why they only fitted central diff lock, while Toyota, Merc fitted front and back lockers.

However, Japanese cars are very reliable but are expenisve to fix when (and eventually there is a when) they break.

The Defender (and Series in its time) up until the TD5 and its awful gearing is just about the best utility 4x4 off road in standard trim. However the basic Land Cruisers are about the best compromise 4x4 very good off road and reliable (and that is from a die hard Landy owner)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I like the pic Silverback :D . I still have my fathers ex army series 3 lightweight for shooting as the doors lift off easily so we can leap out after squirells, and as it is petrol it is very QUIET! I have not modified it at all apart from electronic ignition and rebuilt mechanics. It is still lovely to drive and sails through its MOT every year. It has been in the family from its demob in 1980 so is genuine too. We had a choice of 30 and picked the best one. (HQ no 3)
I had a super set of studded ex Nato Michelin tyres but sadly were not really allowed on the road according to the MOT station so I had to pick them all out.... This took a very long time as you could imagine! Also very sore hands.

I have just seen Martyns post of the new LR.... Interesting....Cheers!

Swyn.

Bushman_Brett

Oct 18, 2006
cannock chase
if ur worried about pollution then why not convert to lpg, that or use one the new things the insurance companys are coming up with where they donate some of the cash to green projects, counter acting ur emissions.

Landys are cool, but notorious for the odd part falling off from somewhere on the car :))

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
EdS said:
good crowd over there.

Once you got a few posts in you should be able to organise some poeple to go laning or off roading with.

If you ever get up to Yorkshire I could show you some decent lanes.

That sounds like great fun mate, but be careful, I might just take you up on it. ;) :D

It's costing me loads though...

charlie01.jpg

So far, a pair of roof bars added, swapped the tow ball for a 3.5 ton dixon-bate, steering guard, swapped the plastic rad grille for a steel one, front light guards, a bunch of shckles, slings and ropes and I've got a scorpion steel cubby on the way. ...oh and a breather tube extension kit.

....and I havent got me tyres yet. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE