Land access: What is a reasonable price to pay?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jeep, massive tent.........................that's cheating :D............would be difficult getting away with wild camping with that set up though.:rolleyes:
I would expect to see Robert Redford & Meryl Streep stepping out of that tent :cool:

Jeep? There aint no Jeep in that picture. Sadly no Meryl Streep in the tent either, I was up for it, but Kate Beckinsale wouldn't let her in. :D

Anyway, it's not cheating, you didnt say wild escape and evasion themed ultralight survivalism, you said wild camping and it's definitely camping and there are no caravans or corner shops to be seen. :D

Maybe I slipped up though, perhaps I should have done what everyone else does and parked the car 200 yards out of camera shot and blagged that I'd humped it in for 10 k's. :D

Last edited:

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I should think a tenner is reasonable if you include fresh water, some kind of loo and firewood. Providing fire wood and encouraging people to bring their own projects save the woodland getting pillaged.

Nigel

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Could you offer different rates for 'car' campers and those that arrive under their own steam?

It's frustrating to cycle or walk to a campsite, with a minimal tiny tent, and be charged the same as a group of 4 who arrive in a van with a 5metre bell tent, etc.

I've stayed quite a bit at a place called Middlewood (there is a website) that offers wild camping, barn/bothy camping, camp in a yurt or sleeping in bunk accommodation inside. Different charges for each. They cater for groups (especially school groups) and have to be careful about firewood. Either you buy some (cut but not chopped logs), or you can use rough wood from a designated place (useful for school groups - you send the little sods to burn off some energy carrying mossy wet logs from a field).

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
you'll make yourself much more attractive to family groups by suppyling a disposal bin. I hope this helps and hasn't offended
Very sensible.
Doesnt fire work for that?
Shocking !
Come on guy's , this is the 21st century, you must know that at least 50% of the world is female ?
For the record I have 1 wife, 4 daughter's & 4 granddaughter's.
My wife has been to the wood's with me, hammocking & tarp, she has no problem using a hole for the toilet, but wont go out to the wood's when she has her period, for the reasons stated by TurboGirl.
The only other option is to bag it & cart it out of there, she's not to keen on that.

As to the OP, 10 quid a night sound's good to me

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
To get an idea of prices, the following link is a selection of camp sites or wild camping sites that I have put together recently. Some are full blown camp-sites and some are more true to the wild camping ethos.

I have not even visited all of these websites. The way I research involves the gathering of lots of links on a subject then going though all the sites I have gathered.

Wild camping/ fires allowed etc.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Sorry but this is my country and I go wherever I want. I wouldn’t walk through anybodies garden or walk over farmers crops that’s common sense and I don’t mind having to pay for a camp site, not that I have ever used one. MOD land is the only thing that’s off limits in Scotland and if there’s not a red flag flying I sometimes ignore that to. I was totally amazed to hear that down south you have to pay to canoe on some rivers that’s ridiculous a totally alien idea to me. In Scotland we have a duty to respect the Land Reform Act which is perfectly acceptable. If a sign says no dogs, that can get to F~~k. If a dog worries sheep shoot it or fine the owner.

Last edited:

David Willis

Nov 29, 2005
Buckinghamshire
Could you offer different rates for 'car' campers and those that arrive under their own steam?

It's frustrating to cycle or walk to a campsite, with a minimal tiny tent, and be charged the same as a group of 4 who arrive in a van with a 5metre bell tent, etc.

I've stayed quite a bit at a place called Middlewood (there is a website) that offers wild camping, barn/bothy camping, camp in a yurt or sleeping in bunk accommodation inside. Different charges for each. They cater for groups (especially school groups) and have to be careful about firewood. Either you buy some (cut but not chopped logs), or you can use rough wood from a designated place (useful for school groups - you send the little sods to burn off some energy carrying mossy wet logs from a field).

There won't be any 'car' campers or the like, everyone will have to carry their gear in, but that won't be more than a 20 minute hike - firewood will be there as will green for crafts at no extra charge.

David Willis

Nov 29, 2005
Buckinghamshire
To get an idea of prices, the following link is a selection of camp sites or wild camping sites that I have put together recently. Some are full blown camp-sites and some are more true to the wild camping ethos.

I have not even visited all of these websites. The way I research involves the gathering of lots of links on a subject then going though all the sites I have gathered.

Wild camping/ fires allowed etc.

Wow that's really helpful thanks, will take a look at these fore sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE