Lamping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
A freind of mine has a farm not far from me and has hundreds of rabbits, he is having trouble with managing ther numbers and i thought this mite be a good place to get sum for the pot.

unfortunatly with working hours from 08:00 to 16:00 i can only help him out either after work (at night) or on weekend.

So im looking for a good lamp for this use.

I was looking at a logun lamp but on reading a couple of reviews im having second thought's!

I was just wondering if any members go lamping and what type of equiptment do you use?

Also is ther anyone in my area who would like to acompany me? i have accsess to over 300 acres of land.

Cheers Apac..

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
arr ye ill change my profile,im from hull near the river humber.

ps. ur sending me 4 bush craft mags hopefully tomoro ;) shame u dnt stock lamp's?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Lamps eh - I've had a few of those; Logun, Deben etc.
The two most successfull in terms of number of bunnies actually shot are firstly a 3D cell maglite and secondly the headlights of whichever vehicle I'm hanging out of the windows of. Get your driver to drive in slow wide curves so that you can see the rabbits eyes whilst they are still at the edge of the beam, stop the vehicle - and shoot from there. You can drive and shoot yourself but you'll miss a lot more than if you had a mate along as well.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Forget gun mounted lamps; you cannot and must not scan the landscape with a loaded gun (or indeed an unloaded one). Don't go candlepower crazy, the Tracer is a good model with adequate power for rabbits. Use a red filter to limit dazzle, preserve your own night vision and limit public inquisitiveness. Buy the best scope you can afford with a big objective say 50-56mm and get your lamper to keep everything on the very edge of the beam (your large objective comes into its own here for picking the rabbits off in the shadow). A common problem with virgin lampers is to go plane spotting so it will take a bit of practice before you get really efficient at it. My lamping team consists of three (four including the dog) One driver, One lamper and One shooter. We use a heavily converted landy with a hinged lift up roof - it has a cut switch to kill the brake lights off road (can't be doing with nosy do gooders :rolleyes: ) and has gun carrying boxes fitted at shooter level, one for a big rifle (for Charlies) and a smaller rifle for rabbits. It has a remote cab controlled double lamp (red and white) the white being for long range foxing. I use a tracer to scan and the cab takes over when I need to take a shot. We shoot in excess of 1000 rabbits a year every year and take it out in all weathers. In my opinion lamping and shotgunning rabbits is a short term solution and initial large bags will soon dwindle to very small bags due to the disruptiveness of a shotgun in silent hours - A silenced rimfire rifle does the job best IMO and contrary to popular belief you can still achieve excellent noise reduction with a moderator on a supersonic rifle (I use a .17HMR fitted with a muzzle can). The term 'Lamp Shy' is often brandished around as an excuse for poor lamping techniques and even poorer shooting unless as previously mentioned you lamp with a shotgun. An effectively lamped and shot rabbit/fox will not live to recognise the lamp and its meaning, it is as simple as that!
The single most important piece of advice I can possibly give however is to positively identify your target - I know of a lamper that shot a man in the chest with a .243 ballistic tip - the man survived but lost a lung :eek: others have not been so lucky!

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
Well i imagain its going to be a steep learning curve for me then i have been shooting with air rifles for years so at least i have a decent start.

My kit consists of a Daystate ph6 with logun silencer fitted with simmons pro hunter 4-12 x 40

Iv had this set up for about 5 years, is it time for and upgrade?

also is this scope ok for lamping?

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
Hi Mate
The kit you've got is excellent,yes the scope is also excellent for lamping.As for upgrading with the amount of land you have I would suggest that you have good reason to be granted a section 1 firearm in respect of the land and would put on the application a .17 HMR, .22 LR, and a .22 Hornet centrefire.
If you would still like someone to show you the ropes and give you the opportunity to try out these firearms PM me your number and we'll sort something out.Cheers for now Mike B...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE