Knots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
My Knot knowledge is pretty poor and i would like a good instructional book in order to improve. is there a particular book that stands out as being pretty idiot proof and easy to follow?

Cheers all!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Dan,

There may be some good knot books about but I've failed to track them down but fortunately a google search will give you some links to sites that some folk have thankfully put a bit of time into and show step by step sequences for most knots you'll need.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's the *bible* , Ashley's book of knots (about £50) and still expensive second hand, but Des Pawson has written a couple of very, very clear ones.

The Tyers Guild has some excellent links though and there are an incredibly talented bunch of folks on the forum too.

I suppose though it really depends on what kind of knots you want to use; personally I always found it easier to learn a knot I *needed* rather than struggle through the various permutations of twisted ropes :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Dan, if you're just getting into knots,
keep things simple and stick to the "online" guides -http://www.animatedknots.com/
the knot reference books are great but can lead to confusion in my experience.
Failing that, go back in time and pay attention in the Scouts for many years.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The Works have had a couple of good ones a while ago. The Ultimate Encyclopedia Of Knots And Ropework By Geoffrey Budworth is my current favorite.

The Ashley book is ok when you understand knots, as a beginer guide complete nightmare.

I would stick online, and then just practice.

Also if there is at least one book at Guttenberg, and a site called The Dump(Put the Dump+scouts into google) has loads of the Scout books, the old ones, so the good ones.

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
the GEMS pocket guide to knots was good for me, just kept it with a piece of climbing cord in my bag or pocket and just looked at it where ever i got bored, i then wrote down all the knots i could tie on the back page and id read through it and "test" myself on them seeing if i could do them without the poicture guides the list is getting up to 60 now!!

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
As a Scout, sailor and member here I've always had an interest in knots, bends and hitches including trying to teach others, always in order of importance bowline, sheetbend and round turn and two half hitches these cover most of the important jobs. The hardest part of teaching someone to tie a knot is that unless they are switched on they cannot judge whether it is tied correctly, even if they have another example to compare it with. It's not impossible to learn from books, pictures but you'll have a bit more confidence the first time you rely on a knot if your previous attempts have been assessed.

Cheers

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
There's the *bible* , Ashley's book of knots (about £50) and still expensive second hand.

I've just got it for about 40 quid - and worth every penny. A work of love which is no mere list of knots but explains everything about them.

It took Ashley 11 years to produce and he did all the line drawings which are magnificient - as well as drawings of the tools which were used in the different trades using knots etc. etc.

A book to read chapter by chapter - do not think it is a mere reference book - it is a really fascinating read.

Absolutely right Toddy:) It is the "Bible"!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE