knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

catcher

Mar 12, 2010
Wimbledon common
im trying to decide what knife is the best for survival skills.

i saw hunted and liked the look of the tracker knife featured, but alot of people on the interent prefer to use the Kabar knife.

which is better for survival, the tom brown tracker or the kabar USMC?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Fallkniven F1 is better than both.

I don't rate teh KaBar very high as a survival knife, it's primarily a combat knife. Don't rate the Tracker as a knife at all. Make a good hand spade though. I wouldn't look to survival threads on the internet too much, most are filled with mall ninjas who have not spent more than an afternoon in the backwoods. Some good advice will soon be forthcoming from other members.

Last edited:

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
Most on this forum probably wont think much of either of them. I personaly dont like the look of the tom brown. So I would go for the Ka-Bar. I have never used the usmc knife but I have a ka-bar bowie, which I really like.

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
Hey Catcher I've had the same dilemma. Spent weeks reading up and watching reviews, hard work deciding.. I've eventually settled on the 'Spyderco Sage' just purchased it today... Will let you know what I think when it arrives :)

3354.jpg

Spyderco knives are far too ugly to carry. Your pocket will spit them out and you'll lose them. The Tom Brown is a funny one. Well enough made but not really good for anything. I've not seen the Ka Bar so I won't comment on it. The F1 is a cracking knife and it's a proper "Survival Knife" but before you rush out and buy one, what do you want to use it for? You may well find that a simple Mora is a better choice, or a knife from one of the Fine Makers on this site and others.

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
Spyderco knives are far too ugly to carry. Your pocket will spit them out and you'll lose them.

LOL

Haha hey Ginge beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to think it's a beauty of a design both ergonomically and aesthetically but hey each to their own. Suppose it's more of a 'carry everywhere, do everything EDC knife' than "Survival" and that's why I also like the 3 inch blade as opposed to any longer, haven't got the cash for multiple knives. If this works as an every day carrier and out in the woods then it's just the ticket for me :)

Horses for courses.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
the tracker and kabar are not worth bothering with in my opinion, if you want something a bit military looking for survival skills try fallkniven, coldsteel or RAT cutlery

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
tbh i don't understand 'survival knives' at all. they seem to be a compromised because they are very awkward to use for fine whittling such as making traps (which is the only realistic way to catch game in a real survival situation). yet they are two small to so any serious chopping:confused: a key part of survival is working efficiently and survival knives don't allow you to do this.

if i was lucky enough to have cutting tools in a survival situation (highly unlikely as you don't plan survival) i would choose a large blade such as a parang, kukri or even an axe and a small sheaf knife.

Pete

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
My logic would be that for a real survival situation, where under heavy, bordering on abusive, use you can't chance it breaking, get a nice big sexy knife - any of those above really. But if you want to learn how to use a knife, get fantastic value for money, realiability in 99.99% of circumstances and far more useful in many more circumstances then go for the mora. At the very least get a mora while you're saving up for the 'big guns', and fall in love with them like most of us have.
I started off with moras, still have and use them but also like a 'few' others.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
im trying to decide what knife is the best for survival skills.

I would sit down and make a list of the kind of survival situations you think you would most likely be in while carrying your knfie, then make a list of the things you would do with a knife (or knives) if you found yourself in those situations. Then decide.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I agree with everyone else, forget about "survival" knives, mid sized bowies and the like.

Get a huge knife or axe for the big stuff and a Mora for everything else.

catcher

Mar 12, 2010
Wimbledon common
What, broken glass is sharp and can be used to light fires. You take that back.

Beleive it or not, In Iran, They actually use old marmite jars to make fires. also i have heard that in remote areas of mongolia, Marmite jars are actually offered to the gods which then give the people gifts like fire, rain or used condoms.

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
tbh i don't understand 'survival knives' at all. they seem to be a compromised because they are very awkward to use for fine whittling such as making traps (which is the only realistic way to catch game in a real survival situation). yet they are two small to so any serious chopping:confused: a key part of survival is working efficiently and survival knives don't allow you to do this.

if i was lucky enough to have cutting tools in a survival situation (highly unlikely as you don't plan survival) i would choose a large blade such as a parang, kukri or even an axe and a small sheaf knife.

Pete

I'm kinda with you there Peter. Unless you're in a hand to hand 'get to the chopper!' combat situation I can't see why spending loads of money on a piece of kit that does 10 jobs when a more practical alternative would (in most situations) service hundreds. If the enemy were heading towards me I would sooner start swinging a machete or axe before I pull out a rambo knife.

I kinda of get it though, when I was a kid all I ever wanted was a rambo knife, boys toys. I know that using it to build a rope swing was overkill but I still loved it regardless of relative practicality, so I see why the humble survival knife still has it's place... It's all good :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE