Knives in schools.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
I work in the window blind trade.. I often have work within schools and colleges. I carry with me a SAK in a pouch on my belt. I know i am within the law to do so. But what about when i am working in a school?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
nope, not ever i'm afraid.......no knives ever allowed in schools at any time for any reason whilst pupils are on the premises.

Really? I am a teacher who happens to run a bushcraft activity in the school where I practise my profession. To follow this extracurricular activity, I use the ubiquitous Mora knives, as do the pupils who enjoy the activity. This is all done with the knowledge and blessing of the headteacher. The knives are only ever used under my direct supervision and I go to exhaustive lengths to ensure that both I and the pupils, who utilise the knives on the school premises and during the school day, do so while following best practice for using knives in a bushcraft context. Am I breaking the Law? Is the headteacher also in breach of legislation for knowingly allowing me to do so? I think not; though both the head and I could stand corrected...

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
If you are a contractor working during school hours. But lets not dwell on the knife word. Any number of tools can cause damage, but a legal carry edc swiss army knife seems to have everyone up in arms.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never? Don't your schools have a lunch-room (cafeteria) for the students and faculty? What do they prep the food with?

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Where, it is sometime since I had reason to check but I believe it is ...... Section 139a of Criminal Justice Act 1998 as inserted by Section 4 of the Offensive Weapons Act 1996

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
There is seperate legislation in place for schools. No knives allowed, except for in canteens or lessons that require it such as art,dt,cooking etc. The caretakers house is also exempt.

Scout groups and the like using school premises are exempt too for pioneering etc.

That's from memory, Id need to get out blackstones for the actual wording.
I think general common sense would apply.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Of course you can carry and use a TOOL in a school ,

a sharp TOOL has a valid use when cutting ,..ooops sorry "processing" an apple or sandwich in the canteen

the caretaker has a screwdriver (TOOL) in his drawer for fixing desks ,..what if he were to plunge it into a students eye?,,..

would it have less or equal consequence than doing the same with a EVIL EVIL KNIFE???

the devil invented knives !!!,...he invented them imbued them with pure evil and allowed them minds of their own ,

Knives will run amuck and become the death of us all,....

OH NOOOOOO!!! the knife apocalypse is going to be the end of us all,....

EEEEVIL KNIVES!!!!!!!! ..

well, seeing as were having a totally ludicrous conversation, i thought i'd join in.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Really? I am a teacher who happens to run a bushcraft activity in the school .

and there is "good reason"..... and i suspect no probs, although i would hope the knives are signed in and out by both yourself and the pupils as an audit / safety check, to be on the safe side, for your own protection i would advise that your B.O.G are aware of and approve of this activity, you may also think about inviting the local schools liaison police officer to one of your activity sessions and get his view on what you are doing.

Unfortunatley in this day and age, you MUST cover yourself against any possible eventuality.

Has any one checked with the schools insurance about keeping knives on the premises ?... might be worth a thought.

However....there is absolutley no good reason for anyone to enter school premises carrying even a penknife when there are pupils there, not the caretaker, not a tradesman, not a deliveryman, not a parent, not a teacher......full stop.

This all sound like a real downer but i spend my working life looking after some 260 schools for an Education and Library Board and am more than aware of pitfalls

I wish you luck and continued success with your activities.........but please cover yourself and make sure.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i,m out!,....

i knew what kind of thread it would be ,....i,m kicikng myself for even reading it now,...

and i,m sober!!!!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
and there is "good reason"..... and i suspect no probs, although i would hope the knives are signed in and out by both yourself and the pupils as an audit / safety check, to be on the safe side, for your own protection i would advise that your B.O.G are aware of and approve of this activity, you may also think about inviting the local schools liaison police officer to one of your activity sessions and get his view on what you are doing.

Unfortunatley in this day and age, you MUST cover yourself against any possible eventuality.

Has any one checked with the schools insurance about keeping knives on the premises ?... might be worth a thought.

However....there is absolutley no good reason for anyone to enter school premises carrying even a penknife when there are pupils there, not the caretaker, not a tradesman, not a deliveryman, not a parent, not a teacher......full stop.

This all sound like a real downer but i spend my working life looking after some 260 schools for an Education and Library Board and am more than aware of pitfalls

I wish you luck and continued success with your activities.........but please cover yourself and make sure.

So which is it Robbie? Not ever for any reason as in your earlier post or with a good reason in this one. Im confused

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Mate, he asked the question so it was answered. I don't think anybody on here gets hysterical about knives or tools or sharps or whatever is the pc thing to call them these days.
But the op wanted to know the legal viewpoint so was told the book answer.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
you're absolutely right mate, unfortunately, and you've all seen it yourselves in the press a hundred times......if someone cries "knife" all hell breaks loose.

Schools and knives do not mix....don't do it.....end of

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE