Knitted wool verses synthetics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Ok so I've just decided to learn to knit, and I'm wondering about the properties of product make from knitted wool against those of synthetic processes. I know obviously that wool is next to useless when wet, so it's just the dry aspects I'm curious of. For instance there's plenty of fleeces out there that have microfibres etc that will draw water up to the surface to dry, but will wool also do this? Also will a couple of layers of thin woollen garments be warmer than the synthetics in similar circumstances?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Wool does actually keep you warm when wet. Well, maybe more when moist then soaked. Wool will draw moist from your body and move it to the outside of the garment. Wool also has a natural antibacterial function which keeps it cleaner then syntethics. IMO, wool is superior in almost all aspects. As for warmth-per-weight-ratio, in my experience they're almost the same, with a slight advantage for wool. One big disadvantage for wool, is the cumbersome washing routines.

Wintertime I usually use wool underwear, and woolen knitted sweaters for reinforcement, and a woolen hat. Hard to beat. If it is really no wind I use a knitted sweater as a shell, and if I get really warm, the sweat freezes as crystal on the outside of the sweater, while I'm dry on the inside. My next project is to make a knitted sweater with a windproof shell on the inside. Just because of the looks :cool:

(With syntethics I don't consider fiber filled garments like sleeka jackets as they are substantially different, they will have to be compared to down or something.)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, I agree, wool is excellent stuff, and it is still warm even when wet.
If you use New Wool, that is wool which has been treated so it won't felt and shrink then it cuts out a lot of the laundering problems. Though to be honest if you just wash wool cold using something like shampoo (meant for hair, wool is a kind of hair :rolleyes: ) squeeze the water out and dry flat there's no problem anyway. If it's really grubby let it soak in the bath overnight and all the muck will just rinse away.

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Knitting is a much under rated craft skill; good on you :D

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Wool Vs Synthetics

a) Wool is not overly expensive, especially if made by yourself

b) Wool won't melt on contact with sparks or embers, might singe, but not melt leaving a giant hole

c) Wool can be repaired with just some good string and a needle. Some synthetics need special tools (Gore-tex or Fleece is a pain)

d) Wool is warmer than most synthetics.

e) Wool is silent. Which is really good for dealing with timid animals (ie hunting, photography, etc)

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Wool is my go to choice when in the bush along with leather as a wind and water resistant barrier it is nearly perfect, unless your truly alergic to it (not just sensitive skinned). Keeps you warm when wet and if tightly knitted will bead water easily yet let water vapor pass. Wear is better than plain fleece and it is almost silent as mentioned before (depends on the knit). Easy to repair.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Whats been shocking me the most over the past hourish is how easy it is as a skill to pick up. Unlike most things that seem to need hours of practice to get even half competent, this just rquires a few minutes of care to get the basic knotting correct and your away, the only thing that seems to change is your speed. Definitly wish I'd taken this up years ago now.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
This is on my B'day list too, a set of knitting needles and some wool. :)

Lets see some pics of what you make.

What is the easiest thing to work on other than a scarf? I would love to be able to knit my own socks.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
so far im going with a scarf right now, I bought me 3 balls of wool (with roughly 100 yards each) and a set of needles for £8 so cheap as chips to get going. I've found this site to be a great help too for anyone that doesnt have someone nearby to teach. http://www.knittinghelp.com/ The videos are ideal. Hopefully at my current rate, I'll have this scarf done by sunday night maybe, and I'll be sure to throw up a couple of pics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE