knifeless?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I find it's the little Nicknack's you have around that make life that little bit easier, when out in the wild.

129069867644019597.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hehehe, Aren't you supposed to be up a tree watching Dave in a meat suit dance?

Weare going off on Thursday and doing an all nighter. Dave isn't keen on the meat idea. He doesn't like the style chosen...

lady-gaga-meat-dress.jpg

I think it would look OK with a sausage boa.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
It's unfortunate that the OP chose such a strange scenario, since the topic is pretty interesting and indeed necessary. You might loose a knife, or you (more likely) may find yourself in a survival situation without your BOB, PSK, insert-acronym-as-needed etc.

I did a course on survival without a knife a few years ago, and if you happen to find something similar I recommend taking it. It is really an eye opener. For most tasks in a survial situation you don't need to have a knife, but it saves soooo much time. Just imagine shelter building. Fire lighting sure is tougher too, a lot tougher. I barely made it on the course, god sure knows I probably couldn't make it today (are your fire-by-friction skills up to it? Can you make the materials and prepare tinder without a knife?). Makes you understand why the stone age people carried smoldering fungae everywhere they went.

Try to do a weekend without a knife, you'll learn a lot, and you'll hopefully take your skills to another level.

If I found myself somewhere close to the so called civilisation, or the remains of it, I would likely go with glass or ceramics knapping, as some already suggested. I think I will put this on my 'skills to learn'-list.

Last edited:

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
This is where I get burned at the stake for being a heretic or stoned (and not in a good way :)) for the following sacrilegious commentary:

My knife use is minimal at best, and usually confined to food prep or triggers for traps, and I can think of other stuff I'd be far more concerned about losing which include but are not limited to limbs or any other appendage, my boots, the clothes I am wearing and...

I have to say that if I was safe in the knowledge that by walking a mile I can be reunited with my pack, shelter and sleeping equipment, I'd feel pretty darn smug about that, despite my bruised pride.

I'd also be trying to work out two things:

1. how 'they' managed to so easily take what was mine given my size, shape and two black belts

2. where 'they' might happen to have gone to ground so I could return the favour tenfold (thus resupplying myself in the process)

Best way to replace the knife is to go and get it back - I imagine a fencepost, young tree or traffic sign would be uprooted en route, just to lend a little weight to my persuasive argument for the full and safe return of any and all personal effects.

Since the offending individuals made the fundamental error of ignoring my one golden rule in life (otherwise know as "don’t p**s me off") I'd have absolutely no problem in finding them, getting the sneak on them, and making sure they all adhered very closely to rule number 1 from then on in.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Given that there is some sort of disaster type situation but I have had time to get some stuff, I would have taken my shoulder cannon and large qty of cartridges with me also...
"put the bat down mate, or I remove your knees.......)

Seriously though, If I could find a dead something I would remove a couple of bones. Snapped bone is quite sharp and shoulderblade can be sharpened on stone/brick etc

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made a bone knife (many years ago - check out SWAT) that I could fillet mackeral with!
Bone can be very sharp...but not as good as flint....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE