knife makers please help.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
this is a bit of a strange request, but i get through so many stanley blades making my customers commisions, and its driving me insane, what i would like if for one of you talented guys, to make me a replica of a stanley blade, and maybe s30 v, or rw34, or a steel some one could recomend that has great edge holding abilities, that i can strop and keep sharp my self.
if some one could help with this that would make my year.
take care.
lee.
if this is in the wrong place please move.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What do you mean by a 'buffer' Duncan ? Like a a belt polisher wheel ? or a strop ?

I never thought of re-sharpening those blades, but it makes sense :)

Any idea how to re-sharpen the blades of my rotary cutter ? they cost me a fortune to replace on a regular basis when they stop cutting layers of fabric cleanly.

cheers,
M

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you're doing loads of work, invest in the correct tool for the job;
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/round-knife.html

It'll be cheaper in the long run and a hxll of a lot safer too!

hope this helps

R.B.

ps:bit of an afterthought:- a cutting mat is also a good idea,( just in case you don't use one already?) it doesn't just protect the surface you're cutting on, it helps to prolong the life of of your cutting edges too.

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
If you're doing loads of work, invest in the correct tool for the job;
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/round-knife.html

It'll be cheaper in the long run and a hxll of a lot safer too!

hope this helps

R.B.
i have 3 and hate them all, i love my stanley knife and does a much better job in my oppinion, for strait cuts the round knife is great and use it for that but for some of the more intricut cuts its not for me.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Well that's a turn up!:confused:

Still, never mind, if they don't suit you, you could always sell em on :)

cheers

R.B.
hi mate, they are joseph dixon one's so when my lads grow up they were a bit of an investment to, as all my tools apart from a few are made buy him, mainley my pricking irons, and a few other bits, as you proberbly now, these are not the cheapest, but a great investment, and they are bomb proof, and he is only around the corner from me.
take care.
lee.

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
What about a shoe knife from Joseph Dixon? I've been using something similar but with a shorter blade that I FOUND lying around the green woodworking area at Wooplaw Woods. It was fairly badly rusted and blunted but I've sharped it up just grand and now it works a treat. Always wondered about those round knives but never thought I'd be able to manage one.

Apologies if you've already considered this - I am just a beginner in leatherwork.

Graeme

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I was just talking to Farid over on BB and he has made up some small carving blades with cork handles just for this job he says the just do not dull !!

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
Other option is modding an Opinel. Nice thin blades that are fairly easy to get razor sharp just the wrong blade shape and too long. If you've got an angle grinder or access to one, is should be fairly easy to draw a sheepsfoot, lambfoot or wharncliffe blade outline on the blade and slowly but surely grind the excess steel off, remembering to cool the blade frequently so as not to upset the temper. You may well lose the nail nick on the blade but a small depression in the wooden handle can be carved out to enable finger and thumb to grab the blade securely. Might have a go meself!

Graeme :D

What do you mean by a 'buffer' Duncan ? Like a a belt polisher wheel ? or a strop ?

I never thought of re-sharpening those blades, but it makes sense :)

Any idea how to re-sharpen the blades of my rotary cutter ? they cost me a fortune to replace on a regular basis when they stop cutting layers of fabric cleanly.

cheers,
M

yes rotary polisher

this sort of thing

polsiher.JPG

stiched mop with steel finishing soap Hones as it polishes as it sharpens

if your rotary cutter is what i think it is it will probably sharpen them to

obviously it wont do much for a totally knackered edge but like leather strop it will maintain and fix up if used regular but will be faster and does actually sharpen to some extent as well

Toddy if you are going to try a disk of sharpened steel :eek: i suggest you bolt it thro the Center hole to a batton
Im stupid enough to do it free hand But a polishing machine is one of the most dangerous things you can have in a workshop gets all interesting when it grabs the razor sharp bit of steel out of your hand at 3000 RPM and randomly flings it about

ATB

Duncan

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I just sharpen Stanley blades on the edge of my schrade honesteel, works a treat. A leatherworker I know uses a strop and jewellers rouge.

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
I just sharpen Stanley blades on the edge of my schrade honesteel, works a treat. A leatherworker I know uses a strop and jewellers rouge.

Why didn't I think of that? Off to have go!

EDIT: tried it and works brilliant - sharper than a new blade. Thanks HillBill!!!

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
this is a bit of a strange request, but i get through so many stanley blades making my customers commisions, and its driving me insane, what i would like if for one of you talented guys, to make me a replica of a stanley blade, and maybe s30 v, or rw34, or a steel some one could recomend that has great edge holding abilities, that i can strop and keep sharp my self.
if some one could help with this that would make my year.
take care.
lee.
if this is in the wrong place please move.

Have a look at one of these Lee, they are a good design for cutting leather
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/morakniv-craftsmen-173.htm

Or one of these
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/folding-knives/opinel-pruning-knife-no-8lc.htm

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Have a look at one of these Lee, they are a good design for cutting leather
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/morakniv-craftsmen-173.htm
hi mate i have a mora one, the same as this.
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=164717163
i have tryied so many different things but always go back to my stanley, well is not a stanley its a i cant think of the name but its he same thing.
will try sharpning the blades, and then get it on my polishing machine would love a blade made of s30v or rwl34 tho:)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
hi mate i have a mora one, the same as this.
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=164717163
i have tryied so many different things but always go back to my stanley, well is not a stanley its a i cant think of the name but its he same thing.
will try sharpning the blades, and then get it on my polishing machine would love a blade made of s30v or rwl34 tho:)

I use a stanley knife and had the same issues as you. Since i started sharpening them i've not had to change a blade yet, and that was 2 years ago :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE