Knife Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 17, 2007
Edinburgh
I've been thinking about a Karesuando knife kit as a present to myself from Mrs Buster, but I am not clear on what tools I need for the job.:confused:

I have a hand held power drill and a file or two, plus the usual assortment of household DIY tools.

Can it be done with reasonably basic tools?

Thanks

Buster

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used Araldite - basic stuff:D
One of these kits was my first knife making experience and got me hooked!
The knife is sold and I see it being used on a regular basis - it aint failed yet.....
I failed to drill the wooden block as my drill was not up to it and I did not have a suitable bit so I used the Henry Rabbet method.
For this you saw the block in half, rebate (rabbet) one side to fit the tang then glue it all together to set the tang in the block.
I use a version of this method for the majority of my stick and concealed tang knives and have yet to have a handle fail on me!
They are great kits and great little knives, especially the carbon steel nes:)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
My first knife was one of these kits and I got hooked form there
As John says ordinary epoxy is fine with a stick tang.

A few tips that you should thin the tang slightly except for the last few millimteres where the tang will end up to get it ot fit the bolster easier dont make the bolster hole bigger. Then force it on gently on with a hammer and piece of wood for a good fit.
Also shorten the tang to the depth of teh hole you get the hole into the wooden block after stacking the antler and bolster on.
A dremel is good for widening the hole if you have one or just use the drill.

Will post some links tomorrow when I am home.

My mistakes on teh my first one was the handle is too big and I rushed it si there is a gap between the antler and wood. thick leather spacers can cover this up though.

One final tip is to sand each of the conatct points of the pieces to give a gap free fit.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Look HERE for a tutorial and HERE and HERE and again HERE

You do not need all the machines you see in these tutorials you drill some files and sand paper along with some patience is all that is required for the knife.

This was made with the sort of tools you have
Myfirstknife.jpg

remember to wrap the blade in tape and when you think its OK you probably should make it thinner about 20 mm thick is about right for most people and about 100 to 115 mm long for the handle.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
remember to wrap the blade in tape and when you think its OK you probably should make it thinner about 20 mm thick is about right for most people and about 100 to 115 mm long for the handle.

Wrapping the blade is almost essential for blood free working, but I have to dissagree about the handle measurements - leave the measurements out and just make the handle to fit your hand - the time to consider "most people" is when you intend to sell your knives!

ATB

Ogri the trog

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have to dissagree about the handle measurements - leave the measurements out and just make the handle to fit your hand - the time to consider "most people" is when you intend to sell your knives!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Sizes put in as a guide to a well proportioned scandi knife and should be changed to suit.

Jan 17, 2007
Edinburgh
Many thanks for the advice.:You_Rock_

I've got most of what I need already, so looking forward to making my first knife..

It was the Brisa tutorial that had me a bit worried, as there seemed to be lots of complicated looking clamps etc.

Regards

Buster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE