Knife gift advice

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
If you're in Devon anyway, why not go see Sir Dave of Budd?
Legend of a bladesmith and a very straight fella to deal with, and a local man to boot.
Or get her a blade and let her handle it herself.That way she gets something unique.
Simon

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just remember to get a penny for it when you give it too her, giving a knife as a prezzie is traditionally bad luck, so you have to sell it for a nominal fee to avoid gutting the friendship. OK I'm a superstitious old so and so but my friends know it's part of the ritual now.:rolleyes:

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Just remember to get a penny for it when you give it too her, giving a knife as a prezzie is traditionally bad luck, so you have to sell it for a nominal fee to avoid gutting the friendship. OK I'm a superstitious old so and so but my friends know it's part of the ritual now.:rolleyes:

Was taught the same thing by my father. had to part with a silver coin when he gave me my first knife for my birthday, was convinced he was trying to dupe me out of my pocket money at first! :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I recently gave my F1 away to someone who needed it more than me. I told him about the silver coin in return too.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Anyone with knowledge of either or both care to offer an opinion? ...

Most of the time I wouldn't want to buy a knife for myself without first handling it.

As a present, I think a folder may carry less risk that the recipient won't like it than would a fixed blade.

If she's 'outdoors-mad' then does she not have a knife already? What's that one like and how does she like it? That might be a clue.

No knowledge of the particular knives, but if it were for me then I'd be thinking about the 'Boar' because it's available in 12c27 which is a really good stainless for knife blades -- I have several, including my all-time favourite folder. I must admit though that I prefer the shape of the 'Timberwolf' -- at least as it appears in the pages that you linked to.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
She's got an old Spyderco 'Military' locking folder that used to be my work knife, it's pretty beaten up now. I've been lending her a Mora and a Buck 119 so I know she can handle a fixed knife. I'm teaching her deer-stalking so it's time she had a decent blade.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My preference would be that Buck 119 with a Cocobolo wood handle.

31A1H9EXKSL._SX385_.jpg

Or a Schrade Sharp finger: www.amazon.com/Schrade-Sharpfinger/dp/B00AO37CYU

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
you could always come on or send her on a knife making course with me ;) I'm about 10 miles west of Exeter and my workshop is set within a 10 Acre woodland, just perfect for making a proper working knife in! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE