My first bushcraft knife. What should I look out for.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
And I say avoid a mora, I hate em. Instead give me a nice knife and I'll treasure it, learn to use it and care for it, also it's more likely to be with me when I need it, but a pos will be left behind, or broken or abused, buts that just me.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
And I'd counter that with you have enough to learn with a blade out in the woods without worrying about looking after the blade itself.

Great, you learn how to look after a blade with a carbon, but you have time to learn that once you learn how to safely use a knife. As you say, its a tenner either way, so why not start with something that takes no care at all... then progress to blade maintenance with the next blade? Or more succinctly, learn to use the blade... it is more likely to hurt you if used incorrectly. Blade maintenance is a separate skill altogether. Not knocking the importance of blade maintenance, but it is an entirely different skill to using the blade.

Screw up with a blade, you lose a finger. Screw up with blade maintenance you lose a blade worth a tenner. How much is your finger worth?

As for spending all your time in water, we live in Britain. Its a mildly moist environment. When starting out, last thing you want to worry about is your blade rusting imho. A tool you can use and learn the basics is the main thing.

Patina on a blade means nothing... who gives a monkies about how a tool looks when you're starting out. I certainly couldn't give a monkies about what my knives look like... I want them to do the job and remain useable for as long as I need them. Worry about the looks and the durability of a blade when you know how to use it, how to not injure yourself with literally the sharpest tool in the box.

I'm sure it's not just the female of the species that can multi-task.

How difficult can it be to dry and run a greasy rag over a blade?

K

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Personally I favour stainless but the bulk of my knife use involves game prep (blood eats carbon steel) go for a knife that you like the look of, then go to a gun shop or camping shop and feel them, see how it feels in your hand, if its something you're using alot you don't want something that will give you blisters

Aug 24, 2016
Nottingham
Thanks for all your comments. It's saved me a few quid for now... Which I'll now spend on an axe. :)
This forum should come with a warning. :p

I've decided I'll go for a stainless Mora in black with a nice sheath and fire starter. http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/mora-knife--tbs-firesteel-combo-with-tbs-leather-sheath---choose-your-model-18110-p.asp
I'm hoping (I've asked anyway) that they also throw in the plastic sheath so that I can leave the leather one attached to my bergan and I can pack the knife away inside when out in public.

I went for the stainless just because it is easier and I don't think I'll need to distinguish between super sharp and razor sharp.
I also picked black rather than a bright colour just for personal preference. I completely agree about not wanting to attract attention from our friends in blue but it won't matter what colour it is if its packed away.

Thanks again.
Ben.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
you'll need to work on the back edge of the blade if you want it to strike the firesteel

but I'll agree with all the above on the quality of Mora for bushcraft - wood working activities atleast

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm sure it's not just the female of the species that can multi-task.

How difficult can it be to dry and run a greasy rag over a blade?

K

I've heard of this multi-tasking thing, but it sounds exhausting... I'm told I did do it once... smoking a ciggie whilst holding my pint. If that was the extent of multi-tasking, I'd be all for it.

More to the point though... a dry rag and a greasy rag? I'm not made of money you know!! :confused:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Any of the Mora series will see you well, but if your looking to spend a bit i can recommend Esee 100%

Tonyuk

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
And? I wasn't presuming to speak for anyone else, merely offering a personal opinion along with every other commentator.

And what? I'm not repeating myself!

Go back, look at your comment, how you phrased it!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE