Knife design a month on

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Well its been a month since i finished the knife i designed for bushcraft. I have been testing it and feel its just right for bushcrafting. It seems to fall squarely in the middle of Kochanski/Mears advice on what a bushknife should be.

It fits all the needs Ray states in his book and all but the pommel in Kochanski's book. More importantly ive been using it extensively for the last month and it's really comfy. I am going to make another to give to someone to try and see what they think, then i shall be making them in batches of 10 for sale as a part time thing, so may take a while.

I have gotten my hands on some American Hickory to use for handles, i used buckeye on mine which looks nice but once you get a few nicks on it (which mine has now) you may as well have a good durable wood (Hickory is fantastic) Its hard to work though but hey.

Plus hickory will match most peoples axes :rolleyes:

And i can use the shavings for smoking meat :rolleyes:

Here is the knife design,

What do you all think?? worth me doing?? Would you buy one??

myknife001.jpg

myknife002.jpg

Oh and im going to make some nessy's too

Edit i should say that Stuart M made this blade! but i will be making them in 01 from now on

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Beautiful. :)

Like the shortish blade with the "full sized" handle.Looks like it will be comfortable in use and easy to control.

I won't be buying one as I am fully kitted out with usable "outdoors" knives.

Mind you,I don't have one with your design features. :cool:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Dimensions Aprox are

Overall Length 205mm

Blade Length 90mm

Blade Thickness 3mm

Blade Width 28 mm

Steel will be 01

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
I'd definitely buy one if it had that handle. Stunning! And perhaps if the blade was slightly longer.......and with a convex edge........ but yeh, i'd still buyit as it is!

Jake

EDIT: also, can you do tapered tangs?

Jake

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Never tried a tapered tang, prefere to reduce weight by drilling holes. But i have a very strong magnet so i dont suppose it would be a problem. And convex is the easiest to grind so that'd be okay.

Im not going to make these to order though. Im just going to make a load and sell them. Mostly pure users with good strong Hickory handles but i might make a few burl handled ones.

Im just gaging interest and seeing what happens.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Very nice. You've done an excellent job there. I agree with Capicious on the blade length (I'd prefer something closer to 100mm / 105mm).

Let us know the price m8.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I love it! Small ricasso, shortish blade, looks perfect. Not sure how I'd feel about the curve of the handle, close to the blade, but I'd have to feel it. If I could afford one I'd buy one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shinken said:
Im not going to make these to order though. Im just going to make a load and sell them.

Good call mate!

I hope not to be in the market if the plans on mine work out of course. I'm with some of the others on length and like something a shade longer as a main knife (around 120cm for me) so you might want to consider a few blades at that length, but other than that, I can't see why they won't sell well!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE