Knife care

Oct 10, 2010
Cornwall. UK
i have been using my condor bushlore just about every day since i got it, after a couple of days i remover the stonewashed finish and put a slight patina to help prevent rust, after every use the whole blade, handle and tang are wiped down with a cloth which has olive oil on it
but after and inspection earlier it looks like there is a slight bit of rust in the place that your little finger sits on the grip

does anyone have any tips to stop the tang rusting?

i am open to tips and sugestions

many thanks
Dan

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Be careful about the olive oil you use. Some brands aren't pure. I've had loads of Moras rust up after applying olive oil so I don't use it anymore. Just keeping your knife clean and dry should do it really.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
YEAH!

also do you let the knife dry before putting it away, nip to tesco and grab a bottle of walnut oil if you don't fancy to use linseed either boiled or raw or Danish oil both of which you can get at B and Q, would also say that if you give it a good hard rub till dry you'll push more of the oil into wood to, Have fun matey!

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Ballistol oil is excellent and highly reccomended by gun owners and I'm told is foodsafe (I use it on my knives) and the oil that a gozillion woodworkers use to protect their steel is Camelia oil, hope it helps:)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
+1 for Ballistol. It really is the best invention. Better than sliced bread

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i just use some WD40 on my blades before i put them away, linseed walnut and danish oils go solid after a while and gum up the blade if stored for any lenghth of time.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE