KITH- knife in the hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
firstly, my apologies if this is in the wrong section or is not allowed here but i thought it would be a nice idea, and seeing as it's to do with making things i thought that the "crafts" forum was the right place for it.

A Kith is basically where a group of people sign up to make a knife, there is usually some sort of theme, i was thinking scandinavian style knives would be a good one for here, at the end of a defined period everyone on the list swaps their knife with someone else on the list, so you make a knife to give to someone else, and get a knife from someone else, the method of deciding who gets what can be decided later.

i thought that the theme of scandinavian knives would be good- they're probbably a style used by many already, the techniques required are not too advanced, there's a large number of materials available online in the uk and abroad and the cost for a knife can be as little as £10 for materials.

i hadn't really thought about sheaths yet?

so, does anyone fancy it?

1. Nathan

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I assume you got the idea over on BB Nat. I have taken part in one over there and if this goes ahead i'll join you mate ;)

We / I have run a number of 'brantubs' in the past where the gift is a supprise and there is no constraints and they have been a success so give it a bit of time and i'm sure some more will come along:rolleyes:

so

1 - NatG
2 - g4ghb

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
I assume you got the idea over on BB Nat. I have taken part in one over there and if this goes ahead i'll join you mate ;)

We / I have run a number of 'brantubs' in the past where the gift is a supprise and there is no constraints and they have been a success so give it a bit of time and i'm sure some more will come along:rolleyes:

so

1 - NatG
2 - g4ghb

Yes, i've taken part ina few over there and even started one, so one over here might be nice too

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
either would be fine, but i'd warn against spending hundreds of euros on a blade and materials when you may recieve someone's first time knife with a £10 blade and a birch handle.

i'm not saying that you should skimp on quality or anything, but i wouldn't worry too much about mosaic damascus and mammoth ivory

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
I'm interested but haven't made many knives so I may want to drop out if I feel that I'd be lowering the standard (in other words I'll have a go but won't try to palm off a piece of c... in exchange for the sort of quality I know you guys produce)

If that's ok

Steve

1 - NatG
2 - g4ghb
3- Elma
4. Staghound

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
There needs to be some rules and guidlines in a KITH.
Example: it should be made from recycled material.
Rule 1
We do this for fun, dont take it too seriously, some people may be more experienced than others, have fun and learn from the experience.

Rule 2
We cater for everybody whether you can forge, stock remove or have to buy in a blade, every skill level should be able to take part.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Ok then guidelines-
1: knives made should be in the scandinavian tradition, stick tang, single bevel, flat spine etc.

2. It does notmatter whether you make or buy a blade but remember that there are novices taking part too, and this is all in the spirit of fun, so members should take this into account whilst designing their knife..

3. The end date will be september the 1st

4Sheaths are not neccessary, but it woud be nice to eaqch make a totally useable package, though it is understandable if some people can't make a first knife and first sheath at the same time.

5. remember that what you make will go to someone else, so although we understand people have different skill levels, still try hard to make something nice

apart from that, have fun:)

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Well I started mine today, because I'm a cheapskate I had a look round the shed to see what I could find and came up with these.

start.jpg

one old file and and a piece of casca-preciosa (Brazilian rosewood)

some time with the grinder later,

grind1.jpg

a bit more time

grind2.jpg

roughing out the grind

grind3.jpg

this is for the handle

block.jpg

getting close to the shape I want

Handle.jpg

progress so far

sofar.jpg

This is my first attempt at a making a blade (bit cheeky doing it for a kith perhaps), so could someone with more experience tell whether they think it is essential to heat treat it. As it is it takes and seems to hold a razor sharp edge, it wasn't dulled by 20 mins of whittling through seasoned oak, and judging by how long it took to put a edge on it using diamond hones and then a whet stone I say the steel is as hard as any of my bought knives. I'm worried that if left untreated it may be too brittle, please advise before I do anymore to it.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE