KITH- knife in the hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Ok then guidelines-
1: knives made should be in the scandinavian tradition, stick tang, single bevel, flat spine etc.

2. It does notmatter whether you make or buy a blade but remember that there are novices taking part too, and this is all in the spirit of fun, so members should take this into account whilst designing their knife..

3. The end date will be september the 1st

4Sheaths are not neccessary, but it woud be nice to eaqch make a totally useable package, though it is understandable if some people can't make a first knife and first sheath at the same time.

5. remember that what you make will go to someone else, so although we understand people have different skill levels, still try hard to make something nice

apart from that, have fun:)

So does it have to be stick tang or is that just recommended?

I think I might join, haven't made a lot of knifes, just a couple.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've not taken part in a BB KITH for some time, so I'll jump in on this one :)

Since I'm also going to be demonstrating at the Bushmoot for the first time this year, I'll make it there :cool:

In fact, I'll do the whole lot there: blade, handle and sheath :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

n.b. I've got a brain like a sieve right now, so people may have to remind me

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
Staghound- that looks great!

i suppose knives can be either stick tang or full tang but stick tangs are cerrtainly more traditional, though many modern scandinavian knives are full tang

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
That's a shame:( how much more time would you need? i wouldn't mind waiting if you still wqanted to take part.

how's everyone else doing on this?

I've finished a couple of projects, either of which could go in the hat. I do keep meaning to have a go at a stick-tang but get distracted into doing full-tang projects instead :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'll have a go at a stick-tang this time then...

Rat

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Globbits.jpg

:censored:

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
how are you folks getting on with this then? i just got half my handle sorted out, and have the steel for the blade, just need to do it now

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Well, I have picked up a bit of steel and a couple of pieces of ash from my woods.

I'll make the blade tomorrow and most likely the handle and sheath over the weekend. People at the Moot cn watch me do it, if they realy want to :rolleyes:

Dunno what to make yet but it will be from 1/2" round bar :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the blade got done over the weekend (at the moot, forged on saturday morning for those who were there ;) ). I also fitted and started carving an ash handle. I was planning to do more, but people kept distracting me with sharp (well, mostly blunt) things and golden coins :D

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
nice to see people's knives coming along! mine's in the works at the moment, but i think i might have made the blade too thick, so i'm going to do another tommorrow:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE