Kit thats come and gone ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The army basha.

BCUKshelter1.jpg

Everyone loves a 3x3 these days.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
orange survival bags....
survival knives (hollow handle with survival kit in handle and a compass)
old school mess tins.
maglites.

For all of the above far better alternatives exist that are either much the same price, or worth the extra. Orange survival bag? why not get one of the adventure medical kit survival bags, half the weight, more useful, easier to carry. I found 2 of my orange bags during a tidy up yesterday. I give them to friends when out for hikes, but I don't tend to rely on them myself.

I found my mess tins at the same time. Even the squaddies recognise they are pants, and just use a crusader these days. Who wants lunch to taste of aluminium?

Maglites are really one of those great examples of a big company failing to adapt to the changing conditions. Who wants a bloody great big maglite, when you can get a brighter, cheaper, more rugged torch? Get a Fenix E01 and it's a damn site easier to use than the most maglites. The only place where maglites are still worth while is where they can double as a club while being a suitable every day carry... say as a security guard...

The hollow knives really saw a boost due to the rambo films. But, most people have come to realise that in reality. We don't need a 14 piece survival kit and we really don't need a knife that is long enough to be classed as a short sword...

With the popularity that Uncle Ray's works have seen, you can see that many who might have started with the rambo knife have progressed to woodlore or similar. Dare I say it, we're all starting to grow up abit...

all were defacto kit when i was a scout doing back woodsman stuff (90's) all now gone but once they were the height of cool/essential kit.

poncho liners
the enamelled plates/bowls/mugs.

Enamel plates/bowl/mugs seem to still sell well, I've no idea who's buying them, but they are on the shelves in most outdoor/surplus shops.

DPM, giant army bergens and crusader mugs

Oh no, hang on a minute :)

I love my berghaus vulcan. Many a good memory of travelling with her. But it's bloody heavy, and showing signs of wear. My next pack, will weigh in at under a 3rd of the weight of a vulcan. The technology has come on so far. 10 years ago if any of us had said you could get a good pack for under 1.2kg, that will hold all your kit, we would have laughed. Now the market has a good supply, weather some of the cottage industry ultra light things, or the slightly more mainstream packs like the exped lightning or the osprey exos range.

As for the crusader. I'm struggling to see quite why everyone loves them so much. They weigh a ton, the ptfe comes off far to easily, and they only use hexy. They are a classic example of the "bushcraft uniform". Personally mine is seeing it's last summer of use before I retire it to the kit chest, replaced by a lighter, more versatile titanium offering.

Julia

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Brass sierra cup, never! you can't get hold of one for love nor money.
Bob
Trip down memory lane this:-

Northern Light , Brass Sierra Cups. Really must clean mine up.

Chris Reeves Jerboam. The only hollow handle I've ever really fancied (apart from my old Swedish Army Bayonette MOD from the 80's)

Ancient German Army spleeping bag with arms that turned into a parka!

Hand knitted woollen socks to go with your breeches and boots with the red laces!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE