Kit thats come and gone ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
This thread has become a list of my equipment! Im not a "light weight" traveller, I use a lot of surplus equipment, and I love to use gear that is tried and tested! That means it aint new! It may not be the in thing, newest or lightest but has worked, tried and tested for years! That's my sort of gear if my life may depends upon it if the weather suddenly turns or something unplanned happens! Choose your gear carefully. Based on experience and reputation or history if you like of the individual items required. Just cos its "old school" don't mean its bad! Just cos its new doesn't mean its the best! Just cos its lighter doesn't mean its good in all circumstances. All items have their pros and cons. You have to decide whats best for the task at hand. That's what experience brings.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
This thread has become a list of my equipment! Im not a "light weight" traveller, I use a lot of surplus equipment, and I love to use gear that is tried and tested! That means it aint new! It may not be the in thing, newest or lightest but has worked, tried and tested for years! That's my sort of gear if my life may depends upon it if the weather suddenly turns or something unplanned happens! Choose your gear carefully. Based on experience and reputation or history if you like of the individual items required. Just cos its "old school" don't mean its bad! Just cos its new doesn't mean its the best! Just cos its lighter doesn't mean its good in all circumstances. All items have their pros and cons. You have to decide whats best for the task at hand. That's what experience brings.

Well said!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I'm sure there's still lots of folk happy using there's but for me the sabre 45, everyone wanted one and in my opinion very overrated! But not heard one mentioned for a while

rg598

Native
I think the thread might have drifted into "what stuff don't you like anymore" rather than what has fallen out of fashion in general. GoreTex for example is still very much in fashion and comprises a large part of the inventory of any outdoor gear retailer.

From what I've noticed over the years, the GB Small Forest Axe hit a high point a few years back and has been on a decline ever since. There was a time when it was just about mandatory gear. Now more and more people are leaving it home, or choosing other designs. Same thing for the 4 inch knife blade. About ten years back if you had a knife with a blade any size other than 4 inches, you were shouted down as a moron. Now people are more accepting of the benefits of different designs. I think the Zebra billy can has also lost some territory when it comes to popularity. Again, at one point it seemed like it was mandatory gear.

Anyone want to take bets on what currently trendy items will go out of favor in another five years? :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Well said! Never had a goretex item that didn't leave me wetter inside than out!

Sent from my mobile.
Well I have to disagree - I've had a few goretex jackets and salopettes and found the opposite to your experience!

But it seems to be now fashionable to rubbish goretex and say it is utterly useless for bushcrafting.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
From what I've noticed over the years, the GB Small Forest Axe hit a high point a few years back and has been on a decline ever since. There was a time when it was just about mandatory gear. Now more and more people are leaving it home, or choosing other designs. Same thing for the 4 inch knife blade. About ten years back if you had a knife with a blade any size other than 4 inches, you were shouted down as a moron. Now people are more accepting of the benefits of different designs. I think the Zebra billy can has also lost some territory when it comes to popularity. Again, at one point it seemed like it was mandatory gear.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this lot Ross!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I think the thread might have drifted into "what stuff don't you like anymore" rather than what has fallen out of fashion in general. GoreTex for example is still very much in fashion and comprises a large part of the inventory of any outdoor gear retailer.

Anyone want to take bets on what currently trendy items will go out of favor in another five years? :)

I'd have a bet on cuben! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE