Kit list for first overnight in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all,

Am preparing for my first overnighter in the woods and would love to hear your thoughts on my kit list. It's pretty basic as I'm just starting out and have been on a bit of a budget.

Shelter/Sleeping: polish lavvu, czech bedroll, go outdoors self inflating mat (cheapo), IPK groundsheet. Might get a fleece sleeping bag liner for extra warmth?

Cook kit: Swedish army trangia/mess kit with a cup, kfs, scourer, meths

Basic fire kit: containing lighter, matches, flint/steel birch bark, cotton wool balls

2-3litres of water

Food: coffee, flavoured teas, porridge/milk powder mix, choccy, cous cous, cooked sausage/chorizo.

Book and Hip flask with jura single malt!

Tools/accessories: hultafors heavy duty knife, sak huntsman, aldi folding saw, head torch, small torch for inside lavvu

FAK, raincoat (will dress appropriately to conditions and take warm layers for night time)

Rucksack: Swedish army lk35 - its a bit of a squeeze but most of the bag is taken up by the bedroll so I may consider swapping that for a smaller 3/4 season bag at some point. The lavvu will be wrapped in the ipk and strapped to the top of the rucksack. Great rucksack by the way, very tough, very comfy and far bigger than the numbers suggest.

Look forward to hearing what you think and learning about any glaring omissions!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Seems pretty good, especially as you're just starting out. (Certainly better than what I started out with). Won't say add or subtract anything for now, be good to see how you get on and what you feel you do/don't need afterwards. It's all a learning process and kit is pretty personal and you've the basics covered. (Actually one thing I might add would be a book, but then I like to read in the evening by the fire - especially if you've got that hip flask to accompany it!

Hope you have fun and would love to hear how you get on.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get out there and enjoy yourself! You're not going to go far wrong with that list for one night at this time of year, and whatever anybody tells you or advises you the only way to learn what kit suits you is to go do it!

I hope you have a great time and come back feeling you've got a handle on it :)

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I've found you need to do an overnighter to find out exactly what you need for an overnighter! So do one in your back yard if you have to - it soon becomes obvious what you need to take :)
Hope this helps,
Phil

Haggis

Nomad
The best kit list I've seen to date,,,;

"Something to sleep in, something to sleep under, something to sleep on.
Something to cook in, something to cook on, something to cook.
Something to wear, something to keep that lot dry if it rains.
Something to drink from, something to drink.
Something to keep me clean.
Some tools to make the above easier.
Luxury ... something to bring a smile to my face"
John Fenna

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Get out there and enjoy yourself!.."

+1 to this.

If you can keep yourself warm and dry then you should be able to get some sleep. It'll seem quite light outdoors at this time of year so you may find that you are awake quite early, so get your head down as soon as you can.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
I did my first over nighter with the kids last week with exactly the same set up as you except I had a tarp to make a porch on the lavvu. The only thing I'd add next time would be mugs, and my hip flask, the trangia pot was too big for the kids to drink tea out of. I would also make sure that you gauge the amount of meths you need for your stove compared to the usage you intend to give it. Trial your meals and tea making and make sure you have enough or use the fire as much as you can. I was suprised how quick it used the meths when you were cooking in the big pot for 3.

scottpix

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
edinburgh
Done my first solo a couple of weeks ago and loved it, only had half of what you are taking, but it looks like you are well sorted.

Have a good one.

Scott

Ps a bag of wine gums are good choice to keep you going.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Here's a handy tip I heard about Barney, when you get home from your trip, sort your kit into three piles, one with the stuff you used all the time, the second pile with the stuff you used only ocasonaly and a third pile with the stuff you never used, then ditch the last two piles.
You probably know the area you are heading to but a map could still be handy.
Happy trails Bro.

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
This method is a good generalisation of a good process but is not meant usually as a rule.

If you don't use your first aid kit this time, don't ditch it!

Carry what you like and are comfortable with but when you want to go lighter or smaller, know what you can leave behind in advance is the idea.

Here's a handy tip I heard about Barney, when you get home from your trip, sort your kit into three piles, one with the stuff you used all the time, the second pile with the stuff you used only ocasonaly and a third pile with the stuff you never used, then ditch the last two piles.
You probably know the area you are heading to but a map could still be handy.
Happy trails Bro.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE