What's the best all round budget wood stove for use in a Polish Lavvu?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello there
Not long got myself a Polish Lavvu and I'm looking to buy a wood stove kit.

Question: What's the best wood stove for a beginner on a budget that will be a suitable size.
Don't want to spend more than £200 for the stove, pipe and spark arrestor..

Thanks
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_20210304_180016.jpg
    IMG_20210304_180016.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: swyn

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
There are plenty to be had at that price. https://www.google.com/search?q=bud...Hdi1B4oQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1366&bih=615&dpr=1
It looks like you have a size 1, this is my size 2 with a frontier copy. I needed to cut the legs down by about 5", to keep the back of the stove further away from the canvas.
IMG_20200307_113536.jpgIMG_20201121_112707.jpg
TBF it's a bit too big, but I now have the spanish extension canvas, which will give me about 5' more space.
Have you considered making an ammo can stove?
Also an external or internal bi/tripod will free up a lot more space inside.

Last edited:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My plan is to suspend the lavvu a foot off the ground with a tripod or from a tree in my woods with a wood wall around the base which will give me more space.. As for the the ammo box idea, I don't have the workshop or tools to do it.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I lived in a Morris van for a winter. I made a 'comet', which was something I'd read about when I was a teenager and the idea stuck 'till reality kicked in and I needed to keep warm in this van.
The idea may work in a laavu. An old paint tin and a short length of wire is certainly not going to break the bank eh, even if you just try the concept for a laugh!

A comet is made from a 5 litre paint tin (or smaller depending on your need), preferably with a metal handle but you can fix that with some fence wire. low flying and on fire paint tins are not reccomended for use in public!!! So avoid plastic handles.

Make holes in said tin with a hammer and a 4" nail all the way round the base sides up to about 2" up.
Attach a wire about 3' long to the METAL handle.
Light a fire inside the tin and then spin it around your head. Presto, your fire willl get going nicely and leave a trail of sparks (hence the comet name) and then you can enjoy the heat.
I collected coals (another story), the paint tin lid had a pivoting re-fill hole and another hole to which attached an old vacuum cleaner flue pipe (Chrome steel) that went out through the quarter-light of the vans front window and the whole thing sat on a paving slab in the passenger side footwell.
I was reasonably warm & cozy.....
Today I'd probably have a battery carbon monoxide detector in the van to warn me of nasties.
S

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you haven't yet bought a stove, I can recommend the basic outbacker stove, small enough for a lavvu, comes with a carry bag, and well within your budget. I bought one at Christmas, as a pressie to myself for all the lockdown I'd been through. Its a very nice little stove, and I'm very happy with it . Bought for a 2 man bell tent, bigger than the lavvu, but found my other 3 leg barrel type stove, took up too much room. This is perfect sizewise, and lighter and easier to transport.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Have the outbacker large window stove here, not the newer one with the secondary burn, and find it heats up the surrounding area very well.

I also have the 3L water urn that attaches to the chimney so keeps the top surface free to cook on.

It came with a travel bag, all the sections come off and go into the stove to transport. It's a bit of a lump but it feels like something that will be used for decades if looked after some.

I would of got the frontier stove, but didn't like the 3 leg arrangement, and I wanted a window to the fire too

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Frontier stove! That's the name of it! All I could think of was 3 legged barrel type stove! Duh! Blond moment!
I have the frontier water urn, and it fits the outbacker perfectly.
So I'm a greedy person with two stoves!
The frontiers best point is that it's taller, so I don't have to bend down so much to use it, but I like the compactness of the outbacker, and it's not hard to raise it a bit on some bricks/breeze blocks and a paving slab to bring it to a workable height at home.
The window is a good point on the outbacker, as you can check the fire's state without having to open the door. A selling point for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE