Kit and clothes hangers - how do you stow your kit when hammocking ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paul standley

Aug 9, 2010
south wales
I'm very new to hammocking having always previously been a confirmed ground dweller and the biggest bugbear I have at the moment is where to stow all my bits of kit when using a hammock & tarp so my question is... how do you stow your kit ?

Paul.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
In the rucksack that got it there normally, but i can spread it out sometimes, being somewhat messy.

I have bought a S/H mesh hammock from here that I plan to rig under the main hammock as a storage shelf kind of thingy... But not got around to trying it, as yet.

Welcome to the world of 'swinging' and the forum!

al.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
With the best intentions in the world I carefully remove and replace items from my rucksack during an evening, putting important stuff in carefully chosen pockets and positions in the pack.

Now, after a few beers I start to think "where's my torch etc?", and out comes the whole contents of the bag. After a few of these rummages I chuck all my stuff under the hammock and have a doze, only to awake to what looks like a post Glasto, pikey field type view of everything I'd brought with me but couldn't find scattered everywhere. That's my storage system anyway, works (or occurs) every time.

:campfire::hammock:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
With the best intentions in the world I carefully remove and replace items from my rucksack during an evening, putting important stuff in carefully chosen pockets and positions in the pack.

Now, after a few beers I start to think "where's my torch etc?", and out comes the whole contents of the bag. After a few of these rummages I chuck all my stuff under the hammock and have a doze, only to awake to what looks like a post Glasto, pikey field type view of everything I'd brought with me but couldn't find scattered everywhere. That's my storage system anyway, works (or occurs) every time.

:campfire::hammock:

So very true!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Most stuff stays in the pack but anything I need during the night just goes on the shelf, yes my hammock has a shelf :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I take a mat to stand on in my socks under the hammock and keep my pack on that in its dry cover usually. I sometimes tie a second ridgeline and hand my kit off that in their stuff sacks if I'm staying for a few days.

After a few strongbows, Nice's method above comes into its own!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I store everything I'm not using in my pack.
My clothes that I was wearing usually get rolled up and tucked in the bottom/top of the hammock.
Boots are on the ground.
My knife is generally clipped to my ridgeline, which also holds my head torch and my glasses. other bits and pieces go into the pouch on the hammock.
The rucksack itself is usually suspended from a strap around the tree I'm hanging from, with a poncho over it (the strap goes through the neck hole) which keeps everything off the ground.
For longer camps, when I have more stuff, I have a small fishing shelter that I use as a gear annex for storage.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Two tripods with a cross br linking them gives me masses of space to hand all sorts of kit, usually in drybags, under my tarp - dry and easy to access :)

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Depends hopw long I'm out for and pack size etc.

On My last trip I was camping with my Explorers, and didn't get time to rig up my camp untill after dark. So, as I didn't have the time to build a tripod to hang my bag from, I simply stuck my kit a big orange emergency bivvi bag on the floor. Did the job a treat.

Normally though I would build a couple of tripods and the sit a cross bar between the two.

Last edited:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I keep everything in my pack (an other arms bergan) which opens up rather like a suitcase so is easy to find things rather than having to 'dig' to the bottom of a traditional sac. This lives under the hammock on a groundsheet that I just fold over it at night in case it rains and then I can flip it out flat (the groundsheet not the pack) in the morning to give me somewhere clean and dry to stand to get dressed etc

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
As per most people- in my rucksack under the hammock. I never bother standing it on anything waterproof, as the pack is lined with an ortlieb, and in my experience most times a ground sheet is used for anything, the person or item on it ends up lying on a puddle! Headrtorch is cow hitched to the suspension strap behind my head, and my mobile (for use as an alarm clock only) is in a purpose built pocket in the side of the hammock near my head.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Like most here i put all the gear i will not need during the night back in my ruck, the ruck has a rain cover and is also hung from a lttle make shift tripod to keep it off the damp floor.
I got the idea from Greg on here when we were at a knaping course with the south wales lot. The tripod also makes it possible to access your ruck whilst still in the hammock :)
Boots upturned on sticks and my bow hangs from the ridge line in two loops so is easy to take out have a play and get it back under cover outof the weather.
Bit of a rubbish tripod but you get the idea..
IMAG1004.jpg

Tarp folded back to show bow. It also keeps it out of the way as there is never a dry safe place to put such a size of object.
IMAG0850.jpg

paul standley

Aug 9, 2010
south wales
Thanks for the feedback so far...

I'm working on an idea for an easy to use, lightweight, rainproof and very cheap DIY kit stowage system that might interest a lot of you and wanted to gauge the way some people do it already and so watch this space.... I'll post up my idea with pics when it's finished... got a bit of fine tuning to do still...!

Paul.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I keep my clothes either in a drybag on the floor under the hammock, or in a drybag inside my sleeping bag (depending on how cold it is outside. the rest of the stuff gets stuck in my rucksack, with the waterproof cover on, and I just lean it agianst the nearest tree.
I hang a torch and my glasses off the ridgeline of my hammock, so I can easily find them in the night. occasionally (depending on weather) I'll hang my boots off one end. but most of the time I put 'em upside down on a pair of wooden stakes, jungle style.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE