Kit advice for woodlore course.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 5, 2010
bedfordshire
Hi Guys,

Sam (man of tanith) kindly booked me a place on the Woodlore Fundamental Bushcraft course as a xmas pressie.
We will be sent a kit list nearer the time (May) but would like to be prepared and as this will be my first course id like some advise on what I am likely to need and suggestions of where the best bits can be bought etc.:confused:

Can anyone help?

Thanx. Lisa - Lady of Tanith

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I did the course last summer and loved it!

Kit wise, the Woodlore kit list looks very short and basic, but is really all you need.

If you can afford it, and will use the items afterwards, I would suggest going for most of the items recommended...eg Fjallraven trousers, not cheap cargo type.

Some people advised me to take a pair of gardening gloves, but I was discouraged from using them when there.

Finally, take a good sense of humour!

Enjoy the course.

Simon

Last edited:

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I did that course two summers ago (I think I started a thread about it somewhere...)

I spent the entire week in Army surplus trousers, the big pockets were really useful) and a craghoppers button-up shirt. I only bothered with the wilderness shower at the end of the week so I could change into clean clothes for the train home!

My clothes list was something like

Civvies -for the journey home
Army trousers
Shirt
Undies + socks (these were changed!)
Lightweight windshirt
Fleece
Rain gear (never used)
Boots
and trainers for around camp.

50L rucksack, thermarest, bivi bag, 1 man tent, water bottle, first aid kit, mug, plate, bowl, spork, SAK, paracord.

I bought nothing new for the course.

All food was provided, as was the means to cook it. You'll be lent a tarp/bivi bag for when you go for a 2 day walk. They also supply billies and tools

It was such a good course, busy all day but for £600 thats a good thing!

Jay

Last edited:

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Some people advised me to take a pair of gardening gloves, but I was discouraged from using them when there.

Simon

Hi Simon,

what was the rationale for not using the gloves? I find them useful for many purposes incl. handling cookware but a bit bulky.

Was it because when using sharps they reduce control and induce a false sense of protection while not actually reducing cuts significantly?

P.

forestwalker

Without having been there a light hat in case of sun, and perhaps a light beanie in case of cold (or a felt hat for both porpoises) might be a nice addition. Depending on the course a satchel (Indiana Jones style) could be handy for carrying misc stuff around in during the day (cup, bandaids, bandana, notepad, lapplander saw, 1 L freezer bags for plant samples, stobor repellent, cordage, camera...) could come in handy. Some spare canvas and a piece of jute webbing is all it takes.

As to gloves I like them whern gathering spruce boughts or cooking by the fire (for organized group open fire cooking I often carry welding gloves as potholders), but very seldom otherwise. Cheap work gloves with suede palms work well in my experience.

If the course is note-taking heavy (or you have those tendiencies) a nice note-book holder with space for a space pen or a couple of pencils is nice to have. Find a standard notepad you like (e.g. A6 moleskin copies, A5 spiral, overpriced clothbound notebook, whatever) and some spare leather or canvas (canvas+barbour rewaxing goo makes for a nice product) and start sewing.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A couple - two or three - heavier plastic bags (freezer bags on a roll - medium or large size) are good for any number of things but especially useful when gathering birch bark and other tinder.

If you've got a digital camera, that's handy too for having a picture of the plant/tracks/knots/processes, etc.. It makes understanding any notes that you may take a whole load easier and allows you the chance to start your very own illustrated bushcraft 'notebook'.

Enjoy the course!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...a light hat in case of sun, and perhaps a light beanie in case of cold....a satchel (Indiana Jones style) could be handy for carrying misc stuff around in during the day...Cheap work gloves..."

It has been years since I attended the Fundamental Course, however a comfy woolen hat is a must (the mornings are cold) and a hat for the sun is probaby sensible too.

I had a small canvas satchel with me which was very handy for carrying my 'projects' around. I had a pair of gardening gloves with me but never used them.

I wore a 'Buffalo Teclite' shirt under an old Barbour Durham lightweight jacket and a pair of moleskin trousers. And apart from changes of socks and underwear those were my clothes for the week.

Have fun. :)

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Simon,

what was the rationale for not using the gloves? I find them useful for many purposes incl. handling cookware but a bit bulky.

Was it because when using sharps they reduce control and induce a false sense of protection while not actually reducing cuts significantly?

P.

It was more for picking stinging nettles to be honest...the staff wanted us to learn the correct way bare handed, rather than rely on gloves...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hand Cream.
Unscented Neutrogena is good. The combination of fine dirt, water and manual work tends to dry the hands and open cracks around the nails.

A sawn off toothbrush to use as a nail scrubber can help prevent any of the little cracks getting filled with dirt and infected.

Craghopper offten has sales with some pretty good price reductions. I am a great fan of their Kiwi trousers and have been using the same pair for all camping and expedition trips for the last five years. Unless you are going to be using them hard on a very regular basis, I don't think you need spend more.
http://www.craghoppers.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_13552_-1_25759_32704_11051_25288

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
As I say in every thread alike: carry a package of tissues on your person. Be it for when nature calls, when you miss Sam (can't imagine that, as you'll have a great time) or just to light a fire (though that's cheating ;)).

Jan 5, 2010
bedfordshire
Thanx again for all the great advice guys. I'm starting compileing a list of what I need as well aswell as useing the actual kit list posted by Angus Og!

I'm sure I'll be referring back to all your posts at some point to ensure I dont forget anything!

And as for missing Sam. As hes said, He's coming with me. Do you really think he send me on a bushcraft course on my own!! Not likely and gives him excuse to do another course himself!! :lmao:

Thanx again.
Lisa -Lady of Tanith

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE