Kinder scout

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I was just wondering if anyone here had been to the top of kinder scout, what the climb was like and what are the legalities of spending one night up there ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've bivvied up there in January and didn't see a soul after the day walkers had gone down. Arrive late and leave early and you should be okay

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hiya

I was just wondering if anyone here had been to the top of kinder scout, what the climb was like and what are the legalities of spending one night up there ?

It is a walk rather than a climb, albeit a steep one.

I have wild camped there a few times and as Shewie says "Arrive late and leave early and you
should be okay" which worked for me.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
There are many access places to get up "on the top" and I've spent quite a few nights up there, once you get away from the busy access points its great and I've never seen anyone else overnighting there !! I used to get the train in to Edale - so no worrying about leaving a vehicle, most public parking around that area used to be reknowned for theft from vehicles!!! :D

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
It is in the national park, and I've camped there twice, and on both occasions bumped into other people camping there, and last time just had time to dump the stuff and get a brew on before one of my neighbours came walking by. Must have smelt the coffee! Lol It's a cracking spot but can be pretty busy, even in the early hours you can frequently see night hikers torches on the paths. Having said that no-ones had a problem with us camping, hope you have a great time.

Cheers

Mat

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive been up there many times its a lovely walk and a bit of an adventure on a misty day.
Not camped though but Ive walked around there very late at night and had the place to ourselves away from the main areas.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Strictly peaking, Its not allowed at all, theres a specific clause for no wild camping in the high peak. I haven't bivvied, dug snow holes or camped up there ever-honest guv :)

Make sure you collect water before you get onto the plataeu unless you like drinking bog water. I fill up at the top of grindslow or a bit further up at the gates of kinder if I'm on the west side.

Treat the water as dirty, I've seen lots using the streams as toilets.

If you park in the overflow car-park at edale station (I think it is still open) there is a guard on duty all night to keep an eye on your vehicle.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It's my backyard and as has been said wild camping is not condoned. It is one of the most heavily visited spots in the country. Second most visited national park in the world after Mt Fuji and more people live within 50 miles of Kinder than within 50 miles of Big Ben (2nd 3rd and 4th largest cities all within an hour and a half's drive. So use your common sense. Having said that most people are off the hill by 6pm and not up top til 9am.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
If you park in the overflow car-park at edale station (I think it is still open) there is a guard on duty all night to keep an eye on your vehicle.

Having had my vehicle broken into in Edale station car park i wouldnt assume this as a fail safe method, I had loads of kit stolen, walking boots, wellies, ventile and just about every thing electrical that was in there.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Having had my vehicle broken into in Edale station car park i wouldnt assume this as a fail safe method, I had loads of kit stolen, walking boots, wellies, ventile and just about every thing electrical that was in there.

Aargh! Never heard of anyone getting done in the overspill before! Sorry to hear that. Was it the main car park or the overspill past the cafe?

I've been done on mam tor and Edale bottom station. Mam tor had mine and my two fiends cars done at the same time-they only stole a tin of soup though after wrecking my door panel.

charlieh

Apr 26, 2010
Staffordshire
it was in the station carpark about 100yrds from the control tower on the tarmac bit, so not the overspill area. One of my mates was done on the snake pull in where the pennine way crosses, I think people know these areas are used by walkers who are going to be away from vehicles for hours at a time so anywhere round that area is worth making sure everything is hidden out of site or best at all leave nothing in the car!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The "overspill" you are talking about is private land owned by the railway and rented to the Parish council to run as a car park 28 days a year to raise funds for the village hall. Rest of the time it is theoretically off limits though as with parking on private land anywhere so long as no one objects you get away with it. I have not heard about break ins at any of the Edale car parks recently though all rural car parks go through phases of being targeted. The Barber Booth car park is free.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
it was in the station carpark about 100yrds from the control tower on the tarmac bit, so not the overspill area. One of my mates was done on the snake pull in where the pennine way crosses, I think people know these areas are used by walkers who are going to be away from vehicles for hours at a time so anywhere round that area is worth making sure everything is hidden out of site or best at all leave nothing in the car!

Yes mate, too right!

I'n the times were in, vehicle thefts aren't going to reduce.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The "overspill" you are talking about is private land owned by the railway and rented to the Parish council to run as a car park 28 days a year to raise funds for the village hall. Rest of the time it is theoretically off limits though as with parking on private land anywhere so long as no one objects you get away with it. I have not heard about break ins at any of the Edale car parks recently though all rural car parks go through phases of being targeted. The Barber Booth car park is free.

Is there a donation box for the village hall Robin? I feel like clearing my conscience.

I usually get there late and I'm the only one there.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Is there a donation box for the village hall Robin? I feel like clearing my conscience.

I usually get there late and I'm the only one there.
The only donations boxes in the valley are National Trust ones, they have found the only way to avoid theft is to weld them up and cut them open once a year. Even the pay and display box in the main village car park was cut off with grinders and carted away. That all sounds like it's not a safe place to park your car but these are isolated incidents. I don't think you need worry your conscience, the village hall parking is run by volunteers and we just do the busiest 28 days of the year when the main village car park is full.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It's my backyard and as has been said wild camping is not condoned. It is one of the most heavily visited spots in the country. Second most visited national park in the world after Mt Fuji and more people live within 50 miles of Kinder than within 50 miles of Big Ben (2nd 3rd and 4th largest cities all within an hour and a half's drive. So use your common sense. Having said that most people are off the hill by 6pm and not up top til 9am.

All very true though on winter weekdays I have found Kinder lonelier than I expected.

Although only 2000 ft it is still a serious mountain, and even visiting Scots mountaineers concur with this. The frequent mists and large, mostly featureless plateau can make navigation a bit intrepid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE