Kevlar Protection items

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I guess you are no less likely to need the items than you are to "need" a bow or a bivi bag - I'm quite sure Bushcraft seems absurd to many. We are better than being contemptuous of others aren't we?

Surely a bow is for sport or recreation and a bivy bag will keep you dry whilst out camping?
Cant see many situations recreation or not where there is a good chance of you being shot or stabbed unless in a very high risk profession and i would imagine such kit would be issued in such a case.
Just struck a cord with me as others that someone was after this type of equipment without a hint of its possible use.

Last edited:

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Would kevla stop a bodkin? The ceramic maybe.

Ballistic rated body armour can indeed be penetrated by a sharp pointed weapon, Stiletto, Bodkin etc: A 'Knife vest' has a different lay up of the Kevlar. Even ballistic body armour without a ceramic or trauma plate/pad of some kind is not a guarantee of full protection, depending of course on the characteristics of the weapon/ammunition used against it. Shotgun rounds of small shot at a reasonable distance and your chances are good without a plate. A strike from 357 Magnum FMJ or any one of a whole range of rounds on a ballistic vest A) Not in good condition B) minus it's trauma inserts, and your looking at blunt trauma and hydrostatic shock which will kill you.
Scott-Coates, if you're wise you will check very carefully any secondhand kit you get offered as a "Bulletproof vest" left hanging in the sunlight of some surplus shop or suchlike will be only a token of protection.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cheers for that :)

Ballistic rated body armour can indeed be penetrated by a sharp pointed weapon, Stiletto, Bodkin etc: A 'Knife vest' has a different lay up of the Kevlar. Even ballistic body armour without a ceramic or trauma plate/pad of some kind is not a guarantee of full protection, depending of course on the characteristics of the weapon/ammunition used against it. Shotgun rounds of small shot at a reasonable distance and your chances are good without a plate. A strike from 357 Magnum FMJ or any one of a whole range of rounds on a ballistic vest A) Not in good condition B) minus it's trauma inserts, and your looking at blunt trauma and hydrostatic shock which will kill you.
Scott-Coates, if you're wise you will check very carefully any secondhand kit you get offered as a "Bulletproof vest" left hanging in the sunlight of some surplus shop or suchlike will be only a token of protection.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I was given CBA in 2005, the filler having been manufactured in 1990. There was no history given, and no way of telling if it had been used, abused etc.
It did serve me well as a pillow though.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
I was given CBA in 2005, the filler having been manufactured in 1990. There was no history given, and no way of telling if it had been used, abused etc.
It did serve me well as a pillow though.

CBA is still used now, shocking!!!! A pillow is al its worth, I spent 2 weeks in Afghan with only CBA, cheers MOD....

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Bullet proof vests generally are rated for a 5 year shelf life even when cared for. As for the resistance they offer to various projectiles, th standard for various grades can be found here: www.nij.gov/pubs-sum/223054.htm

Without reading it, the old standard had one level vest certified for projectiles up to and including 9mm. The next level up was certified for .357, 45, and (with the addition of a trauma plate) small caliber rifles (223/5.56) At that time nothing had been fielded to resist 30 cal bullets (at least nothing light enough to be practical)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Surely a bow is for sport or recreation and a bivy bag will keep you dry whilst out camping?
Cant see many situations recreation or not where there is a good chance of you being shot or stabbed unless in a very high risk profession and i would imagine such kit would be issued in such a case.....

Yes as a cop you're issued the cheapest they can get. If you want something lihgt enough to actually perform your duties while wearing, you have to buy your own. When I was still on the street a good vest was about $600-$900 each.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got stabbed once, but it was stopped by my own body armour which coverd a bigger area than the issue, which i believe is woefully short. Guy later said he was after the femoral artery as he figured i would'nt have protection down there, ie the groin area..

Rob

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I guess you are no less likely to need the items than you are to "need" a bow or a bivi bag - I'm quite sure Bushcraft seems absurd to many. We are better than being contemptuous of others aren't we?

I agree Red but it does worry me a tad when people ask for hard core kit and dont say why they want it. Very probably an innocent use but we dont know either way and i wouldnt want to be providing something to someone that later turned out to be for nefarious purposes.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It worries many people when people collect "weapons" (knives). My attitutde is if an item is legal to own, then its a matter for the individual. SHoould we ask on every knife thread "why do you want it"?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I dont disagree, i just find that most people explain their need when asking for advice or gear and it makes me a bit suspicious when they dont. Perhaps i just have an overly furtive imagination :)

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Probably some prepping sites might offer a better chance a getting what you want, weather for collecting or for use in criminal activities.but I don't think a site aimed at discussing skills and activities under the title of bushcraft needs any kind of link to the sale of body armour and respirators.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE