Kefir & Kombucha

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I would like to incorporate more fermented food stuffs into my diet.

Kefir and Kombucha I'm aware of - is there anything else and does anyone have some recipe suggestions ? Thanks

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Sorry Mesquite - i appear to have left out a key word - DRINK. Any other Drinks beyond Kefir and Kombucha - sorry!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I recently had bottle of combucha based on nettles not tea. Very mild taste, not bad though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Traditionally we used buttermilk and whey here. Also barley water.

Make some crowdie/cottage cheese and ferment the whey from it. No waste and all good food :)

Barley water is easy and is usually drunk on the day it's made, but if you let it sit cold it ripens. It 'can' thicken up a bit too like the kefir. Just give it a good stir. If you haven't let wild yeasts into it it shouldn't ferment, but not a bad thing if it does, ends up mildly fizzy, If it goes mouldy though you left it too long, throw it out.

Reactions: TeeDee and nigelp

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
While your incorporating probiotics
Don’t forget to incorporate prebiotic foods to give the critters appropriate food to graze on

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Such as? please carry on.
Dandelions Leeks Onions Garlic
Asparagus Bananas Oats Barley
Apples Cocoa Flaxseed Wheat Bran and Seaweed.
The last is a popular Japanese food
- I make California Rolls and Korean snack food. A third population made it a staple- The west coast of Ireland.

XSR101

Jan 7, 2023
Oxfordshire
I would like to incorporate more fermented food stuffs into my diet.

Kefir and Kombucha I'm aware of - is there anything else and does anyone have some recipe suggestions ? Thanks
Kimchi- super easy to make and delicious Korean fermented cabbage.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE