Keeping rust off steel

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I recently bought a forged firesteel.

I want to keep it free of surafce rust - would giving it a rub over with a bit of wax do the trick?

If so, what's the best wax?

(Obvioulsy I'd avoid treating the working face)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Treat the working face too - won't affect its function. If you are hitting it hard enough, with something sharp enough, to strike a bit off causing a spark, wax won't hurt it.

Use what you have to hand. If you carry vaseline or a candle or cooking oil....they all work. What do you oil your knife with?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ren wax is indeed the best. It was designed for museum use to preserve their artifacts, especially swords etc. You can't get any better protection than that, although to apply correctly, it is a chore and needs repeated applications, then polishing and repeat. If you use it correctly, you should not have any sign that it is on there.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yup, it's only good for storage or display. It is a right bugger to shift once applied correctly in multiple layers, but cutting wood will soon scrape away at it.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to burnish it with a wire wheel to get a nice finish and then try a hardish wax like Briwax (furniture wax) , or clear shoe polish and see how that goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE