Getting back into bushcraft after a long hiatus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LukeR

May 9, 2020
Glasgow
Hi all,

I used to be really into bushcraft when I was younger, pretty much right up until I went to uni, but with the discovery of alcohol, women, etc. it seemed to slip from my immediate attention. Now that I've matured a bit (ha!), and under the current circumstances of the world, I guess it's something that has come back to my attention and I'm finding myself really excited to get out into nature at every opportunity. I've been learning to identify wild foods on my daily exercise, making myself a new bushcraft knife, and doing far too much military surplus retail therapy from Varusteleka! I even dug out my old firesteel the other day and taught my girlfriend how to light birch bark. It feels good to be back!

About me:
I'm 27, I've recently finished an MSc in renewable energy although I'm currently working semi-professionally as a blacksmith because it's something I still can do from home. I haven't quite figured out the rules about linking my etsy shop in my signature yet so I'll refrain from that for now, but I'd be interested in getting some input on products people might like to see for bushcraft purposes at some point. That's not really why I joined though; I'm mostly here to learn.

Aside from blacksmithing I'm interested in archery (particularly longbow archery), I love scuba diving and worked as an instructor for a while, and I'll DIY just about whatever I can get away with. I've been learning a lot about knifemaking and heat-treating steel lately and enjoying it a lot!

Nice to meet you all!

Luke

LukeR

May 9, 2020
Glasgow
Thanks for the sudden resurgence of welcomes! I've been slowly acquiring/making more gear and having a great time at it. The knife is 99% done now, just working my way up to a nice tung oil finish but I'll likely post some pics in the next day or two since I doubt there'll be much difference on camera from the finished article.

Next up on the make-it list: A folding bucksaw, some waxed canvas pouches and a sit mat.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ha ha, just seen this, good to have you on board Luke, there's a good number of people on here that enjoy the same hobbies as you.

Hope it all goes well goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE