Improving Ceramic pocket stones - Fallkniven CC4 & Spyderco

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Years ago, Fallkniven's DC4 diamond/ceramic stones had the ceramic face machined flat. The ceramic was a fine grade (still dark brown, but comparable to the white ceramic used by Spyderco). Then as now, Spyderco did not machine the faces of their pocket stones (Double Stuff), which results in metal glazing the surface in distinct stripes. This alone has been enough to keep me from buying a Spyderco ceramic stone (I have their slip stones as well as their Sharpmaker and despite their small size, all exhibit this striping effect too).

The DC4 has been through a couple of changes in ceramic. By 2011 they had ceased machining the face flat, and there were complaints about lumps on the face that left deep scratches, it was stated the stones required a breaking in period before working at their best. More recently, the ceramic has changed again to a much coarser grade that grinds off material, rather than polishing it. To me this defeats the purpose of the DC4, grinding done by diamond and polishing by ceramic.

To re-balance matters, Fallkniven came out with the CC4, same dark ceramic as current DC4, but now faced with a finer, white ceramic in place of the diamond. To me this is a great improvement over current DC4s. The white is still a little coarser, I think, than the old machined sapphire ceramic, and while flatter than Spyderco stones, it still exhibited striping.

Enter a cheap diamond bench stone (thin metal on a plastic backing) that I bought for grinding out chips in chisels and such. While the white ceramic shrugged off 120g silicon carbide (it polished the surface, but didn't flatten it) the diamond stone made short work of removing the high spots and refining the face of the CC4.

The finished result gave a polish to my M2 HSS marking knife, and about the sharpest edge I have ever achieved on it. As can be seen, metal is now being deposited much more evenly on the stone's face. :D

Might not have done my diamond stone much good, but I have been using the CC4 a fair bit lately, and the diamond stone hasn't been used in months, maybe a year, so it seemed a good job to try. Not sure where I got the diamond stone from, but it looks just like this, but only single sided, know it was about that price.
https://www.toolstation.com/trend-craftpro-double-sided-bench-stone/p41604

CC4 Flattening by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Happy flattening.

Reactions: JohnC and Toddy

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've got both the spyderco double stuff and the older ceramic but lumpy dc4 stones. I fixed my otherwise completely unusable dc4 with a pound shop diamond plate and it's like glass now, been excellent ever since. And I've never had an issue with the double stuff, perfectly flat and smooth,mines 6 years old? Maybe the new ones are being budgeted?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Wonder where Fällkniven get them from? Aliexpress?
I am lucky, I get my stones from work related suppliers. Very high quality, graded as it s@ys in the package.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one Chris :)
I still have and use one of the original DC4's with the flat face, but I bought a larger stone and it's definitely ridged. Worth sacrificing a cheap diamond one to get a decent stone.
The pound stores had packs of four cheap diamond stones, and I'm pretty sure that's where I picked mine up. I don't know if they are diamond or not, or it's just advertising, but by heavens they remove metal. Very thin, and in plastic casings.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I recently bought the Lanksy Blade Medic, for an edge in the field it's great, it does take a lot of meat off on the carbide side but once you use the ceramic and strop you get a paper cutting edge, for the price and size imho they're great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE