Keeping Carbon Knives clean?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Podcast Bob

Simple question, but one that would be useful to answer.

I'm going on a long trip in Scotland shortly and hope to be using the knife as I go. I've kept it clean at home after use, sharpening, drying and rubbing in oil. However what do folks do when out for more than a few days in a wet environment, without carrying to much kit?

How do you ensure clean a clean (non rusty) blade?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Bit of scotch brite for scouring any rust off, some cotton wool soaked with olive oil to rub on the blade once cleaned. The olive oil soaked cotton wool doubles as a firelighting aid. Store it in a camera film pot.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I take a tiny bit of wirewool, this combined with some olive/veg oil which i tend to have for cooking. This will take care of most of the day to day grime.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm going to post an opposite method.

Controlled oxidization.

I take my carbon blades and wrap them in tissue paper and then soak them with vinegar over night.

The result is a blackening of the steel but the surface is much more forgiving of corrosion and stops you worrying about every spot or blemish on your knife.

Cutting-Crew.jpg

The Leuku in the middle shows the effect quite well.

After that a quick wipe with cooking oil every now and again will keep them in good shape.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's true enough Wayland, my large Mora is done in a similar fashion with kitchen roll and vinegar. The only place that would be affected these days would be the bevel where it gets sharpened now and then.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I agree with Wayland. The patina protects the flat bits and you'll sharpen, strop or whet the bevel often enough to stop it rusting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE