The Humble Sandbag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I went out this weekend with my little brother in law, he's not got much in the way of kit so I loaded him up with my spare kit, he gave me a rather quizzical look when I handed him a sandbag.

Now sandbags are something I've carried since I was young and got chewed out for not having one on my webbing, ever since I have always carried one and found it surprisingly useful.

A non-exhaustive list of uses so far are:
Carrying magazines from section to section
Carrying water bottles
Used as a flannel for washing (excellent exfoliater)
Use as a towel
Used to lay out pots / pans / cutlery as a clean drying board
Quantifying tinder (One bag of small sticks is definitely enough to get a fire going)
Very coarse water filter
Litter bag (can be washed when you get home)
Use as a snow melt bag
And when it has reached the end of it's useful life the fibers light well with a spark.

So, what humble bit of kit do you carry and for what purposes?

Reactions: zornt and MrEd

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Clipper lighter. Bright pink.

100% guaranteed flame anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Clipper lighter. Bright pink.

100% guaranteed flame anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I'm sure every smoker has a collection of clippers in a draw somewhere with no gas, broken flints, gas filler etc. All been mixed n matched to try and get a working lighter.

While better than most cheapo lighters i prefer those cricket lighters lol. Just don't seem to die unless they run out of gas. Which can be quite quick sometimes as theyre like flamethrowers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
spare handkerchie. One for nose blowing wtc.
one spare for anything else, cleaning glasses, offering to a distressed lady, pot grab, mask, etc

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
What kind of sand bags sre you speaking about? The military ones I had last were quite useless for anything else.

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Just a word of warning with sand bags coming into contact with food and water. I know the military ones are treated with a fire retardent and something to deter rats from chewing on them, I don't know about others though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE