Kayak Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
With summer rapidly waning I have been trying to get out as much as possible while the good weather lasts. So far, we managed to get in some sailing time on Lake Ontario, Camping in Stony Brook and Allegany State Parks and this past week was a combined kayak and primitive camp outing.

Stillwater Reservoir, north of Old Forge in the Adirondack region, is state owned land and offers no-fee camping at a number of designated remote sites. It lies at the end of the longest 12 mile dirt road I have ever traveled. Carry in...carry out, etc. We paddled back in several more miles and set up at a site we had selected from the map. The wilderness scenery was absolutely gorgeous. At night the loons called loudly under a very starry sky. It amazing how much more of the night sky becomes visible once away from the lights of civilization.

On the second morning I awoke to find that our campfire was cold. I had lit this fire by fire piston and had used my hand drill at Allegany, much to the amusement of the next camp, so just for fun and variety I decided to see if I could fashion a bow drill set on site. I found a dead spruce nearby and had previously cut some for fire wood. Its not great for cooking but makes a nice bright camp fire for evening enjoyment. The wood felt good and passed the thumnail test, so I chopped out a hearth board and whittled a short spindle about the size of my thumb in diameter. The socket was split from a section of dead birch and lubricated with spruce gum. The fire gods were apparently smiling as I got a coal on the first try after the burn-in. For future reference, spruce on spruce works just fine.

ed6c84bc.jpg

ed6c8438.jpg

ed6c8307.jpg

ed6c8294.jpg

ed6c8210.jpg

ed6c817b.jpg

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Buckshot said:
Wow !
What a lovely place.
At the risk of being a kit nerd that's a nce axe as well.

Cheers

mark
I was going to ask about the axe too :)
Looks like a stunning place, thanks for the pics.

Thanks for your comments. The axe is a Marbles, Hunters axe and is intended for quartering large game. It performs well as a pack axe also.

Here is a fork to compliment the many spoons seen here. She wanted to make "smores"...

ed6c856c.jpg

Another view from Blue Mountain.

ed65b554.jpg

And from our camp

ed65b69c.jpg

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Forgive me if I'm hijacking this thread: I may be guilty of not searching far enough to find a more appropriate topic.
Does anyone have any tips for NE Scotland ? I'm about to dip the family's toe into kayaking, and am looking for unadventurous areas to develop a bit of boat sense. I've already ear-marked the lower reaches of the Don; but wondered what the choices were in terms of lochs et al.
Is there anyone out there with local experience ? I have a good idea of the choices for touring, but for the moment would just like to teach the kids how to hold a paddle.

leon-1

Chance said:
Forgive me if I'm hijacking this thread: I may be guilty of not searching far enough to find a more appropriate topic.
Does anyone have any tips for NE Scotland ? I'm about to dip the family's toe into kayaking, and am looking for unadventurous areas to develop a bit of boat sense. I've already ear-marked the lower reaches of the Don; but wondered what the choices were in terms of lochs et al.
Is there anyone out there with local experience ? I have a good idea of the choices for touring, but for the moment would just like to teach the kids how to hold a paddle.

I'm sure that if you ask MagiKelly he would have a few ideas, or alternatively you could try asking on The Song Of The Paddle which he runs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE