karrimor sabre 45.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I was hoping the waist belt was changable so I could incoporate a war belt for the survival and medical pouches and the nalgene pouch.

Is that possible on this pack?b

And does anyone know the height of the side pouches.

If you want a decent rucksack that will sit on top of a webbing belt have a look at the snugpak rocket pack.
Very well made, but its designed to wear over a webbing belt.
I bought one because of the reviews I read but its too short for mein the back.
Im about to stick on Ebay so if your interested in a brand new one cheap pm me.
Cheers
STeve

Joel_m

Jul 31, 2012
Berkshire
I would think to walk around the coast of the UK you will need something bigger than 45lt, although it extends to 75 a full 75 pack will give you more usable carry space.
If you consider that to walk the mainland uk coastal paths is about 6500 miles (there is 1400 in Scotland alone) that is a lot of kit, even if you are covering just half you will need good boots which will need replacing multiple times, one solution to this is to wear a set of boots and carry a set of lightweight walking shoes so when the boots wear out pop the shoes on and walk until you reach somewhere you can buy a new set this will help keep the weight and carried kit down somewhat.
So if I were you i'd seriously consider a larger pack and Karrimor do make a sabre 75 I believe.
My memory sparked of a chap who did this a few years ago, just googled him and he is called Peter Griffiths worth reading the article about him on the BBC website..

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Interesting article Joel.
Here is a link to it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/walks/pages/petergriffiths1.shtml

I would think to walk around the coast of the UK you will need something bigger than 45lt, although it extends to 75 a full 75 pack will give you more usable carry space.
If you consider that to walk the mainland uk coastal paths is about 6500 miles (there is 1400 in Scotland alone) that is a lot of kit, even if you are covering just half you will need good boots which will need replacing multiple times, one solution to this is to wear a set of boots and carry a set of lightweight walking shoes so when the boots wear out pop the shoes on and walk until you reach somewhere you can buy a new set this will help keep the weight and carried kit down somewhat.
So if I were you i'd seriously consider a larger pack and Karrimor do make a sabre 75 I believe.
My memory sparked of a chap who did this a few years ago, just googled him and he is called Peter Griffiths worth reading the article about him on the BBC website..

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Arnt the side pouches only 10 litre same as plce kit? If so its only 65 litres, very nice pack but IMO larger pack system is a much better option. I'd your actually going to walk any distance.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Arnt the side pouches only 10 litre same as plce kit? If so its only 65 litres, very nice pack but IMO larger pack system is a much better option. I'd your actually going to walk any distance.

Are you talking about the rocket pack Southey? If so I thought they were 12.5 litres tbh but really aint sure,
And tbh like you have all said it prob wont be enough for him.
Me personally, have no experience at all in what Multi is trying to do, and wish him all the best in it, I just thought it would be a pack he could use to incorporate his 'war' belt as it sits a bit higher.
Great pack though, Im just gutted it sits too high on me!!
Cheers
Steve

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"…personally, have no experience at all in what Multi is trying to do…"

I do.

I walked about 250 km in the Cévennes carrying a Sabre 45, varied terrain, lots of rough stony paths and a few climbs. I also carried it on a trek across the Fogaras Mountains in Transylvania, I'm not sure how long that trip was.

I chose the Sabre for the Cévennes trip because I planned to do some canoeing at the end of the trip and the sabre and its side pockets break down and fit into drybags or drums more readily than some of my other packs. I chose it for the Transylvania trip because I thought at the time I'd be spending a little more time in the forested lower slopes and not walking across the roof of that particular part of the world.

Although it can be nice to organise your gear into the three seperate compartments, the weight of the pack is an issue, when walking long distances day after day that weight will grind you down. Small injuries will not repair and perhaps more importantly you'll spend more time looking at the ground in front of you rather than enjoying the enviroment that surrounds you and all that there is to see.

The pack is comfortable enough for weekend trip, maybe a little more, for a long journey as the OP suggests he has planned, people should look elsewhere.

A warbelt?

Give your head a shake, you are not tabbing to Port Stanley, you are not setting out across Roger Zelazny's Damnation Alley, you are planning a long walk around the British Isles with the odd detour for Hadrian's wall and such. You need a good pack, designed for distance walking, you need a nice pair of boots, you need to step away from the computer screen and get out and about and meet some of the folks who live on that island with you, with very few exceptions they are nice people, they will be fascinated and entertained by the adventure you are embarking on, many will go out of their way to help you in any way they can. Which I hope you will come to appreciate if you ever manage to get north of the border.

Last edited:

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
What is it that makes the pack uncomfortable?
I can get rubber over any buckles, or stitch a material to the belt system or shoulder straps, etc.
How come its always after a few days it gets a problem to you.
Sounds like a cheap school bag full of books, theyre always uncomfy on a daily basis.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...How come its always after a few days it gets a problem to you…"

No, it is uncomfortable from the get go, however I'll put up with that for the convenience of a cheap pack, one that doesn't catch on branches and that has side pockets that'll take a zebra billy can.

"…What is it that makes the pack uncomfortable?…"

It has a cheap poorly designed back system. But it doesn't have to have a better back system because the demographic for Sabre 45 users is unlikely to include folks who plan to use it to climb to the Everest base camp or walk the length of the Niger River.

I have (and have had) many rucksacks, I think there is a lot of quackery in some of the hi-tech designs that have come and gone, but there is a great deal of science, engineering and experience also.

You were never designed to carry that kind of weight on your back for any real distance, a properly designed (and properly fitting) rucksack back system allows you to do with some comfort and allows you to do so without injury.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Im Only taking 10 or so kilo in the pack, the rest around the waist, although the war belt will have suspenders for shoulder and waist weight.could run around like a loon with that set up I should think,even if it all adds to 15+ kg.

War belt?
is that like a utility belt?
never had the sabre 45
i had a karrimor predator until it got chewed on by rats(sob)
all military style packs are desigend to be worn over or with webbing.
not really a lot of call to wear webbing (unless you wish to do so) in the Uk at the moment
having just moved from army surplus packs to made for civilain/hobby users i recommend a civilian made walking pack over the military packs everytime

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Well raymears.com sells the karrimors, so I assumed the outcome would be good for hiking, camping, backpacking, bushcrafting etc.

They are great packs and i use mine all the time, however the back system does not fit everyone. I find mine comfortable but have not treked extensivly with it. A mid sized pack fully loaded will tend to be less comfortable than a larger pack half filled and compressed. The fact that the 45 is a well made robust pack increases the chances of it being overloaded which in the short term is fine, but you do notice a decrease in the comfort offered.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Surely this uncomfort can be altered customly by the individual? maybe a towel in the uncomfort area? Or somne rubber fixng or something

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Well raymears.com sells the karrimors, so I assumed the outcome would be good for hiking, camping, backpacking, bushcrafting etc.

You can't assume anything with kit. You need to know that it suits you and that it does exact what you want it to do ~ and the only way to know that is spend some serious time using each bit of kit you intend / need to rely on ~ a positive opinion on any piece of kit isn't worth spit!

Im Only taking 10 or so kilo in the pack, the rest around the waist, although the war belt will have suspenders for shoulder and waist weight.

What are you going to do to combat rubs and pressure points? What sort of milage and trips are you intending to use this set-up for? ~ bimbling? day hikes? weekenders? et.c

could run around like a loon with that set up I should think,even if it all adds to 15+ kg.

Don't base plans on loose ideas of what you think will work ~ do you know that a belt rig / kit suits you? And, again, the only way you will know that any piece of kit is worth carrying is to actually use it yourself ~ and to such an extent that you are fully aware of any particular weaknesses in its design.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Surely this uncomfort can be altered customly by the individual? maybe a towel in the uncomfort area? Or somne rubber fixng or something

Or buy something that fits you, it seems the only way to find out is to buy one and use it. You asked for peoples opinion, and they have willingly given it, you do however have to be prepared to listen to it.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Well as always, its hard to part with more than a hundred quid on something without knowing other peoples results of the product.
Im not able to spend 100 years finding kit, im not a massive whinger so uncomforts not a major problem for me, but as long as the packs a good size, blends in with natural environments, not made to last 2 months like trainers.
Annoys me how manufacturers and government study materials to ensure the products have a maximum lifespan on the market to help the economy go round

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I realy think you should be looking at some other type of rucksack ,,the Sabre 45 weighs in at about 3.7kg ,you can get a framed 75l rucksack that weighs in at about 1.5 to 2kg which are fully adjustable and will save you overall weight

Jason

Example of war bekt, this one named as battle belt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180910722138?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Easy use with maxpedition pouches.
Right i understand what one is but not perhaps why i you want one.
how much stuff do you plan to carry on your belt?
Actually how muich stuff do you plan to carry in total?

As for ray mears elling them well he is in it for the money same as every other store on the web or high st
dont get me wrong i've bought stuff from woodlore, lot of it is good stuff but there is alternatives

less you are going to be going into combat you can always frequent millets,blacks, go out doors, cotswald outdoors or any other outdoor shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE