Ka-bar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I haven't used mine much since I modded it but it's a very serviceable knife.

kabar5c.jpg

Last edited:

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
They're made for stabbing. If you do a lot of stabbing when you camp, it might be a good knife for you.

If, on the other hand, you do much carving, skinning, butchering or cooking, it's not such a good choice. The guard does nothing but get in the way, the blade is way to long, and it's not sharpened near the hilt, where fine work is done.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
What element is made for stabbing? Is it the swedge/false edge?
You can see Hoodoo has removed most of the guard on his - I agree the whole length out to be sharpened but I like longer knives for some jobs.
I'm not in the one knife for everything school of thought so a longer knife and a whittler would make a good pair for me.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
What element is made for stabbing? ...

What element isn't?

Kabars are good for what they were designed to be: Cheap, mass-produced fighting knives for the Marines. (I'm a retired Marine, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with them.)

Like Harley Davidsons and .45's, they've developed a mystique among adolescent boys that they don't deserve.

If you frequently fight off zombie attacks and you can't afford a rifle, shotgun, pistol, sword, stick or shovel, by all means consider a Bowie-style knife. For anything else, though, it only marks you as a tenderfoot.

People seem to admire the ability of knives to chop. Any small ax will do so more efficiently and safely. If you absolutely have to chop with a knife, use a baton on the back of the blade. It's not as sexy as those YouTube videos, but it's a lot more practical.

leon-1

They're made for stabbing. If you do a lot of stabbing when you camp, it might be a good knife for you.

Not much use as far as advice really.

The Ka-Bar, has been in service for years, it's not just a combat knife, it's a utility knife. Knives are made to cut and your question is does this work well for a bushcraft scenario, the answer can be quick and people say "NO", but things are not quite that simple.

I owned a Ka-Bar for years, it did most everything I asked of it, but was it easy or good at it, I didn't think so, but it could do it. The failure was not in the knife, it was in the person using it.

A couple of years ago I was on a Bushcraft / Survival course and there was a guy on it called Jared, he was a big guy (6ft tall and 6.5 feet wide across the shoulders), he was like "ram man".

Initially I thought that Jared with his accent would be the most annoying person on the planet, but it turned out that Jared was a complete star. Jared was an Ex US Marine and he had brought along a knife to use on the course, his issue Ka-Bar.
Jared did twice the amount of cutting that any of us did, first he used the Frosts that he had been given to use on the course and then he tried the same thing with the Ka-Bar. He actually did a pretty good job with it, afterwards when we spoke he said that it was just as capable of doing the tasks as the Frosts, but it took a little more effort.

Jared, like I had served for 13 years. He had 13 years of experience with a Ka-Bar and found it harder to work with than a frosts mora which he had never handled before.

The answer to your question is knives are horses for courses, some handles suit some people some suit others. If you can get hold of one, borrow one from a mate or something along those lines, try before you buy.

Most blade designs can be used in most jobs, some better than others, I have before now skinned a reindeer with a Wenger Swiss Army Knife, it wasn't ideal, but it did the job. The main thing is that you like what you have chosen, it's a lot easier using a knife that you feel comfortable with than a design concept from a manufacturer.

The Ka-Bar is a utility knife that has been used for years and many people like them, some people handle them in the same way that some handle a Frosts Mora, others can do the job with them, but find it harder than using a frosts and then some can't use them at all.

From a personal opinion, I found the handle uncomfortable for long periods of use and I am not a fan of longer blades, so I found the blade a little unwieldy in use, but that's me. The majority will probably say the same, that doesn't mean that you won't like one though. As I said before try before you buy if you can.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
thats great advice, however no one i know has even heard of one let alone owns one. but from what ive seen and heard i think i would like one. i would probably ask in a shop if i could hold it first to see if its comfortable.

another thing, how good is the steel for sharpening/keeping sharp? i kinda suck at sharpening.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham

No it was not.

Edged weapons fall into two basic catagories - stabbing or cutting

The Ka Bar is a brand of Bowie knife, so a general purpose fighting knife. A cutter, not a stabber.

The 'China' Marines actually wanted the Sykes Fairburn, but could not get it approved. That knife is designed for stabbing.

If, on the other hand, you do much carving, skinning, butchering or cooking, it's not such a good choice. The guard does nothing but get in the way, the blade is way to long, and it's not sharpened near the hilt, where fine work is done.

It is a Bowie knife, so I would assume makes a wonderful butchering and cooking knife. It was the choice of fur trappers for a long time. In fact, it is the first famous brand knife in that respect.

Ref sharpening

Two things

One - Any tool you use, and want to use well, means learning to look after it, so get knife, learn to sharpen. Sort of in hand with that, the only thing more dangerous than a sharp knife is a blunt one!

Two - does the Ka Bar not have allsorts of ways to sharpen it? I know I have read it, in other sources, but the only one that springs to mind is in a Punisher War Journal, he explains how he sharpens his Ka Bar. I would not dare mention this but have read this method else were, and the same reasons behind it. It could well be a Vietnam era thing, which would explain my reluctance to go looking for a better source. Way to much material to wade though.

Have a nose at the web site, there is a lot more to the company now than just one knife, in one design. Kabar.com

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Davey, the Kabar comes under the heading of "easy to sharpen." The steel is on the softer end of the rockwell scale. This will make it easy to sharpen in the field. By the same token, it won't hold an edge as long as the more exotic steel blades out there on the higher end of the rockwell. The steel also doesn't have all the fancy ingredients that enhance wear resistance or prevent rust. This is basic 1095 carbon steel, IIRC, which actually ain't bad stuff at all.

You might find the Kabar a bit large and awkward for some outdoor tasks and just perfect for others.The blade is about 0.030 thicker than a WS Woodlore blade but it has a higher bevel which gives it good cutting geometry. If you convex the edge, it will peel some nice chunks of wood off a hardwood dowel. It actually has more belly than a woodlore out at the distal end of the blade, which can be useful for skinning large game. The handle is much thicker than the woodlore so if you relieve the sharp edges on the stacked leather, it can be a very comfortable handle. And of course, it has a great pointy tip which will be very handy for boring into wood for making things like fireboards. However, again, it's a fairly big knife and the further your hand is from the tip, the less control you will have over it but as I said before, it's a very serviceable knife. The longer blade can even be used in drawknife fashion for shaping wood and making fuzz sticks. Also, the larger knife gives you some chopping capabilites, although it's nothing compared to a small hatchet. If you KNOW how to do bushcraft, you can do it with this knife. However, no knife can replace knowledge, imo.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
It is a Bowie knife, so I would assume makes a wonderful butchering and cooking knife.

Try it. They don't. That's not what they were designed for.

It was the choice of fur trappers for a long time.

Not at all. Most trappers and mountain men carried knives like the Green River or Hudson's Bay. Google them and you'll see the difference.

Skin and butcher a deer, beaver, even a squirrel with a Bowie knife, then do another with, say, a Mora. I'll bet your opinion will change dramatically.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Try it. They don't. That's not what they were designed for.

It is sort of. They were designed to cut, so butchery should work.

Not at all. Most trappers and mountain men carried knives like the Green River or Hudson's Bay. Google them and you'll see the difference.

Skin and butcher a deer, beaver, even a squirrel with a Bowie knife, then do another with, say, a Mora. I'll bet your opinion will change dramatically.

To be honest, it would not be my first choice.

I think the problem is that they both can perform the tasks, and with practice, you can get better with both. Both of us would not to want to do the job with a Ka Bar, but the jobs could be done.

Also learning to do jobs with a big knife is not a bad skill to have. Sometime it might be all you have.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Just because the military (any military) issue something, it doesn't mean it's any good.
two words.
Lowest. Bidder.

It's by no means the worst blade in the world, it's just that for that kind of money there are knives that are of better quality, and that will be easier to use and easier to maintain.

At the end of the day, as I said, it's the OPs money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE