Just made myself a Laplander Sheath.... What dy'a think ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
Constructive criticism VERY welcome !!

I spent a couple of months in the Yukon Territory last year. Canoeing the river and living in the bush.

So close to the arctic circle, all you really need is a laplander and a Gransfors Wildlife hatchet. Perfect combo.

Losing a laplander is too easy though and I have a rare orange one.

So, I had a go at making this and it works REALLY well. Wish I had it with me then.

It's a rough prototype. Didn't groove for the holes and didn't saddle stitch properly. Polished up the leather a lot for that "bed in" look.

Tell me what you think ?? I'm always looking to improve.

DSC04858.JPG

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
Prototype..........thats lovely, i really like that.

Thanks. Glad you like it.

There's a few bits I don't like.

I didn't groove out the leather for the stitches so they're not flush.
The holes were too close together for the size of thread so they look squashed together.
The black stitch doesn't look great on a light tan leather.
The leather was actually a really pale veg. I used used black shoe polish to try and darken it up. It was hard work to get it to take and I don't think it really worked well. I need some proper leather dye.

Apart from that I'm happy too. The fit is perfect and the size and articulated joint makes it REALLY easy to use with a jacket on. I really don't like stuff looped straight onto a trouser belt. It digs in and is a pain to get to if you're wearing a longer jacket, poncho etc etc. (which is what you usually wear in the bush)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Did you do any wet shaping? Can't tell from the picture. Simon H does't like wetshaping and prefers to make kife sheaths without, instead making them too tight to start of with and loosening up over six months. I imagine that could be more difficult doing without on something the shape of laplander.

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
All dry shaped. Wasn't hard at all. I made it a snug fit as I thought it would soften and losen up over time. Its 3mm so pretty heavy duty. Im sure it will be fine. The laplander length and curved shape will help it stay in there too.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Thanks. Glad you like it.

There's a few bits I don't like.

I didn't groove out the leather for the stitches so they're not flush.
The holes were too close together for the size of thread so they look squashed together.
The black stitch doesn't look great on a light tan leather.
The leather was actually a really pale veg. I used used black shoe polish to try and darken it up. It was hard work to get it to take and I don't think it really worked well. I need some proper leather dye.

Apart from that I'm happy too. The fit is perfect and the size and articulated joint makes it REALLY easy to use with a jacket on. I really don't like stuff looped straight onto a trouser belt. It digs in and is a pain to get to if you're wearing a longer jacket, poncho etc etc. (which is what you usually wear in the bush)
Your listing all these things but if you hadnt said, I wouldnt have known, I thinks its lovely, not too pretty but not plain,looks used and traditional. Really nice. :)

ril25

Mar 16, 2010
Hungary
Great sheath! But I'd be also interested in your Yukon Territory bushcraft experiences. Do you have any account, blog, pictures etc?

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
Hi.

Im half way through writing an.account of my experiences in the Yukon. Hopefully trying to flog it to.a few adventure magazines. Ive written a few articles about my motorcycle adventures in the past.

I do have a blog but its motorcycle adventure travel related.

Www. Touringted.com

Ta :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE