Just made my very first leather item

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
A couple of weeks ago I was given an old horse saddle so I retrieved the leather off it and decided to have a go at making something.... It's my first effort and I have no leatherworking tools. I made this with a small scalpel, a leatherman wave and a dremel

It's an axe mask for my Hultafors Forest axe... Wadda ya think???

axe1.jpg

axe2.jpg

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
looks great bud, one thing i would say, is maybe step the drill bit size down a little, if thats what your using bud. say a 1.5 mill, other than that, for a first attempt, very impressive mate.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
This bit of leather is 4mm saddle leather that's about 50 years old and has been looked after. Gorgeous patina on it . I have some thin stuff I rescued too, might make a few pouches n stuff from that. There's a lot of good leather in an old saddle. I was surprised... Thanks for the comments guys :D

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Knowing you (however briefly at the Moot) and your sense of humour, as evident on these pages and on Farcebook it was with come hesitation that I clicked on this thread thread. What could it be a Gimp Mask, codpiece, ball gag all these flashed through my mind before I saw the very tidy looking axe mask. Nice darts mate, well done!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Knowing you (however briefly at the Moot) and your sense of humour, as evident on these pages and on Farcebook it was with come hesitation that I clicked on this thread thread. What could it be a Gimp Mask, codpiece, ball gag all these flashed through my mind before I saw the very tidy looking axe mask. Nice darts mate, well done!

I'm misunderstood :D

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's very cool - as you say, loads of good leather in old saddlery and evrything you make has both quality and character...............nice one!..............atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE