Just how does it affect you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
A good idea in theory, A way of getting rid of some of the "combat" style cheep rubbish of the streets that the less law abiding seem to favour!

I don't think this sort of activity does the honest knife user any favours though, (More bad knife press!) there will undoubtedly be pictures in the news papers of the hundreds of large "ugly Rambo" style stuff, but not the mountains of cooking knives that are turned in (In my opinion that is the real problem on the streets). We need to address the people not the things they carry!

at a recent scout camp my GSL was encouraging us to get rid of our knives in the amnesty, then 5 mins later pulled his own knife from his pocket for sharpening, "It was only a pen knife" he said still 4" long and very pointy

Rant Rant Rant ;)

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
like all amnesties on knives,swords,air weapons and live arms. i think you'll find that it is the law abiding person that hands them in and the criminal type will keep them!!! from a political pr point of view it will be a resounding success as they will be seen to have removed X amount of "weapons" from the streets and therefore making them "safer". TOSH . i ask the question of where is the 20,000 ak47's that have come into the country and the officials dont know where they are???

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I'm sure it will be as effective as the amnesties and subsequent banning of handguns. It will criminalise and further marginalise the very people that the state should be keeping on-side, whilst doing nothing for crime and in many ways making it safer for criminals to operate.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
For those of you wishing to get rid of your custom/handmade knives I will be operating a "special" amnesty for all you bushcrafters out there.
Send me your nasty, dangerous knife and I will see to it that it is definitely taken off the "streets". ;)

leon-1

sodajoe said:
For those of you wishing to get rid of your custom/handmade knives I will be operating a "special" amnesty for all you bushcrafters out there.
Send me your nasty, dangerous knife and I will see to it that it is definitely taken off the "streets". ;)

Nice try mate:D

It is another knee jerk reaction, this time to a young lad who was a promising footballer killed at school in London. It has become high profile so they have latched onto it.

Another case of locking the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Will it affect me?

No, I carry a knife for a purpose that is legal and to me at least it is justifiable that I carry such a knife.

Will I hand in knives?

Probably not, especially when they are looking at them as weapons and not tools or collectors items, nearly everything that I own I would want compensation for and the big chance is that I wouldn't get it.

I also have a number of parts for knives to be made up from that won't be getting handed in.

I am not saying break the law, only that I personally will not be handing in tools that I use and that are used for purely legal actions.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Totally irrelevant.

Hand guns are totally illegal and I think the amnesty will have the same result.

Decent law abiding citizens inconvenienced (not by the amnesty but by the hysteria) and NO effect on the scrotes who abuse edged tools in an antisocial fashion. :(

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I think the main aim for this is not necessarily to "take knives off the street" but to generally raise awareness that carrying knives as weapons is not a good idea. Hopefully it will make people stop and think.

It shouldn't affect any of us at all. The police are aiming at the teenagers who think it's cool to carry a knife, not us law-abiding lot who carry knives for legitimate reasons.

Reactions: Seagull

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
point 1... i was in a shop looking at a new knife when a scall stood next to me and asked wot da, the shop keeper sed a bayonet, he sed ye il av dat den plz. he didnt know nor care what it was it just looked nasty so he wonted it.
point 2...any idiot can go in to the supermarket and buy a knife and how many knifes do u have in you kichen,
i think is good in theroy but wont make the people who wont to use them as wepons hand them in

also dose this have an efect on us ?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
IMHO ANYONE who uses a knife either for pleasure or business is a 'target' for the anti weapon lobby.
I was a chef for many years and endured on a daily basis from anyone 'not in the trade' about how dangerous my knives were and how i shouldn't carry them around, when in reality i only walked from my car to my place of employment, a distance of some 100 meters.
I wouldn't use a £100 knife to stab someone...it would be something a lot cheaper! :)
My outdoor knife is a woodlore and the "rambo" comments that spring from most people i meet are a constant irritation. I can only hope the conversations i have with people at least can see WHY i am carrying my knife. There was a time in this country when it would highly unlikely to meet anyone in the country NOT carrying a blade of some description, not as a weapon but as the tool it is meant to be.
My wife used to work in our local A+E as a nurse. We are not classed as a bad area (indeed last year i believe my little town was voted 2nd best place to live in the country) but the stabbings she dealt with as a consisted of :

Kitchen knives
Stanley and craft knives
Chisels
Screwdrivers
Scissors

Stabbings involving "combat" blades accounted for less than 1% of all injurys. I realise this may buck the national trend but i can only speak from <her> experience.

Although the idea to raise awareness of the legalities of carrying a knife is a good idea i don't think it will do much to stop the problem, especially after gaz's comments about how easy it is for "yooofs" to buy one.

Right rant over :cussing: :rant: :soapbox:
(count to 10 and oommm, chill out) :240:

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
Got to agree guys, at the end of the day, the legal users will be the ones who are hurt by the press and the news. Thugs arent going to bother handing their kitchen and "survival" knives in, its only going to be a few nervous people who have grandads second world war bayonet somewhere in the attic!
IMHO, no one is going to use a bushcraft or outdoor knife in an attack (lets face it, most are expensive), its going to be cheap rambo spin-offs bought at the local market for a tenner, or a kitchen knife foung in their draw.

I wouldn't worry about it guys, we all keep within the law and are sensible as regards to carrying knives (at least I hope so!)

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Apart from the hype, anyone can go into a police station at any time to hand in something he/she thinks is dangerous, and will have no action taken against them. I once handed over a bag containing a quantity of various calibre, live ammunition I had found. The desk sgt's reaction was akin to "well what do you want me to do with them?" :banghead:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
It saddens me when I hear of people being maimed or killed because of knives, and although I do think that a knife amnesty may seem a little excessive, it has a point and I'm sure that the initiator believes in it. For me, a knife is a tool and nothing more. I carry a small pocketknife with me, and have done so for as long as I can remember. But I live in Canada and our laws are a little different http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/knives/canada.html than those of you living in the UK. On the other hand, the United Kingdom has an enormous number of people living in a very small area of land. And if a lot of those citizens are walking around carrying blades, something or someone eventually snaps, and that is when the trouble starts.

I'm sure that a lot of you may not agree or even like your knife amnesty, but don't you think as citizens of your country you should follow it to the best of your ability?

Cheers,

Adam

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Maybe instead of a knife amnesty, the authorities could try an amnesty for thugs, drug dealers, drunk drivers, fraudsters, muggers, wife beaters, child abusers, football hooligans and sex offenders. Now that would really reduce crime but I'm sure the police and the politicians would say its too difficult.

I don't think there is any evidence population density makes any difference to crime apart from crimes of opportunity and a confusion over the intepretation of statistics. When I was travelling by London underground in the rush hour, it was very crowded but it never cross my mind to attack another passenger. If the assumption was true, then the highest crime rates would be in rush hour trains, rock concerts and major sporting events.

Similarly when I was out in the country, I did not cross my mind to attack anyone either. Big cities tend to have a lot of crime so some people automatically assume the denser the population, the more likely the crime without considering other factors like if the type of people living in big cities is different from those living in smaller cities or in rural places.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
how can you have an amnesty for something that isn't illegal?? I think the amnesty organisers should be arrested for wasting police time.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I don't know about anyone else, but if I do carry a knife either for Bushcraft or for a purpose, I actually forget I've got it on me, until I need to use it, that is I don't see it in any shape or form as a weapon, only a tool. Its like me carrying my laptop for work, my initial reaction isn't that I could beat somebody around the head with it... repeatedly, its something I use for work.

The problem today is that knives are carried on the street as a fashion accessory with a knowledge that its a weapon, I expect that if you asked the majority of the population what a knife is for it would be one of two things: a) to use in the kitchen, b) to stab someone. I very much doubt that you would get any of the millions of uses in between.

Matt

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Shing said:
Maybe instead of a knife amnesty, the authorities could try an amnesty for thugs, drug dealers, drunk drivers, fraudsters, muggers, wife beaters, child abusers, football hooligans and sex offenders.
I.
And the one common denomiator is not the weapon or the offence, but the as**ole committing it.
Knive and axes don't kill people, people kill people. :sad6: :bye:

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
knife amnesty?????

I would understand the reason to hold such a thing if it was illegal to own a knife or you need a licence for it as you do with a gun. But why give away a good kitchen knife????

I think it's good idea for supermarket or army shops of wherever that sells knife, because more people will need to buy new knife to replace those that were handed over.

singteck

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The lunatic Government forget that you can still buy wonderful things like claw ended hammers etc. from a DIY store at any age.
If they taught kids that knives were tools that needed skill and looking after knives would quickly become boring and loose all street cred.
Knives are scary to be on the wrong end of - but in my case it was an 8" kitchen knife in the hands of some drugged up guys at a house party. It wasn't the knife which was the problem it was the nose candy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE