just got a landy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 8, 2009
horsham
Hi bud, try UK LAND ROVER FORUM been with them for years ive got a defender TD5 shes sweat as a nut but you really have to keep on top with repairs, have fun.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
I also have a 1997 300 TDi, but a 110 hardtop.

I tend to visit http://forum.landrovernet.com/index.php

Lurk on various Landrover fora from time to time,but take it all with a pinch of salt.

As someone else said - keep on top of servicing and contrary to popular belief - clean it! Especially underneath or the chassis will rot infront of you. Waxoyl it on a hot day in the summer.

Over the last 25 years I've had SWB Series 3, Defender 110 300 TDi, Disco 300TDi auto and now another 300 TDi 110 (should never have PXd the first one for a Disco).

In my opinion the 300 TDis are the best Defenders made - no engine management like the TD5. If yours has an EGR valve, blank it off or remove it and think about an Allisport intercooler for sweeter running. Use good oil too.

Intertidal

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've been desperate for a Defender for a long time now but never seem to have enough cash. I need one that's in good shape because I don't know how to do anything (and I'm idle...). One day.

Girlfriend's got a Jeep, 2 actually, and she's always on Difflock. So that's obviously the place to be.

Claudiasboris

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I feel for you, used to have a Series II called Boris

This is mine, her name is Tess :D

tess.jpg

Lots of warm clothes for winter driving are a must, and a waterproof hat is handy for when it's raining :)

Tree bars are useful too, a Ford Sierra slammed into the side of Tess at high speed, she needed a new tree bar, tyre and wheel, much of the Sierra was left scattered about the road!

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I've been desperate for a Defender for a long time now but never seem to have enough cash. I need one that's in good shape because I don't know how to do anything (and I'm idle...). One day.

Girlfriend's got a Jeep, 2 actually, and she's always on Difflock. So that's obviously the place to be.

Claudiasboris

You might want to re-think your choice of desired vehicle in that case as maintenace is key to keeping a good Landy in good shape and if your reliant on a garage to do jobs then your likely to be spending money regularly.

ATB, Jon.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks Jon, it's something that I do keep reminding myself in my few rational phases. I just tell myself thatI'll have to learn.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty when needed and I can manage plenty simple stuff. My main concern is that we don't have much room outside the house for maintenance that involves more than lifting the bonnet, especially with two Jeeps already there

Being greedy really, aren't I?

Claudiasboris

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Based on my own experiences with a Defender 90, fit a darn good immobiliser or other security. Mine went right off the drive overnight. Truly heart breaking, but its not just the loss of the vehicle, if you're anything like me its all the handy odds and ends inside it too!

Enjoy the landy, they are the best!

Dave

All 4x4's round this way are having the CAT's nicked (sawn off on the owners drive) as they are easy to get under without a jack and they are fetching £100 apparently:eek:

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
lol land cruisers are the dogs knackers.
over in Afghanistan the soldiers have knicknamed them taliwagons, on account of them being the vehicle of choice for the taliban.
but in all fairness i dont think land cruisers have the same character as the ever faithful landie:)

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I call my leak, the 'rear wife wash'! There are several too!

I always take the disparaging remarks with a pinch of salt as you can easily get new parts within two days for a + 30 year old LR and I would like to ask Toyota owners to purchase replacement springs on a two year old Hilux. Eight weeks and more!! (that's my experience)The wheel rim design on a Hilux is also cleverly built to collect and retain mud. The resulting chronic front wheel wobble will keep your speed to less than 10 MPH when you go from your dirt track to the public highway! Mitsubishi is slightly better! Much washing is required to allow deliverys at a sensible rate.

There are two things to do in my opinion with your LR. First is what has been said security. Best is a fuel pipe cut off but this is difficult to fit. It can be done electronically using the stop wire but one in the pipe is best.

Second is the rust. Rear X member, bottoms of all doors and bulkhead. Waxoil is good and is best used during warm weather. You can access the top of your bulkhead through a little hole at its base with a long flexible pipe or drill a couple of holes at the top. These can be plugged with rubber grommets. Similar with your door bottoms, just ensure that the drips are free when you have finished. Rear X member, this rots from the lowest point and then upwards from there. More little holes where the chassis rails meet this. They are nearly in line with the rear door frame. The remainder can be reached from the factory holes, of which there are many!

I hope this helps you and the rust!

Swyn.

Last edited:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I am constantly tempted to get a landy, but at 6' 5" I'm about a foot above the optimal height for one. Drove them a lot when I was with the NT, and they're great off road, but any drive on road that lasted more than 1/2 hour would leave me crippled.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE