just got a landy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
here it is, 12 mo down the line, i'm still smitten with defenders!
100_0781.jpg

with my superb oztent:
100_0763.jpg

i've got a disco 3 too, not a keeper!
100_1017.jpg

, if you want a landrover, get a defender. if you want a luxury 4x4 go japanese:(

landyandy

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2009
west yorkshire
here it is, 12 mo down the line, i'm still smitten with defenders!
100_0781.jpg

with my superb oztent:
100_0763.jpg

i've got a disco 3 too, not a keeper!
100_1017.jpg

, if you want a landrover, get a defender. if you want a luxury 4x4 go japanese:(

nice, you'll get another one you've got to have more than one..how do you like the tent ? i've been looking at a RV5 for a trip next year ,do you like it ? are they ok ..thank's andy
this is one of mine
s7300895i.jpg
[/IMG]
and the kids one
kids006.jpg
[/IMG]

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
just got a defender 90 csw, most expensive thing i've bought off british blades!

what are the best forums to visit?

Mate, no sympathy, buy a vehicle off a knife forum and you'll get a spoon, lol...!

I had a Defender for years, it was a nightmare, wish I never bothered !!...not a fan - I've used them in other circumstances and they're not as reliable under pressure as the LR fans will shout about - give me a Patrol or Landcruiser any day, (I'll get my steel helmet !!)

Enjoy your new Landy - hope you've saved plenty of money or got a very good credit rating, you'll need it mate :)

........"what has a Defender and the Titanic got in common.....same turning circle,Titanic was more waterproof"

Last edited:

landyandy

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2009
west yorkshire
Mate, no sympathy, buy a vehicle off a knife forum and you'll get a spoon, lol...!

I had a Defender for years, it was a nightmare, wish I never bothered !!...not a fan - I've used them in other circumstances and they're not as reliable under pressure as the LR fans will shout about - give me a Patrol or Landcruiser any day, (I'll get my steel helmet !!)

Enjoy your new Landy - hope you've saved plenty of money or got a very good credit rating, you'll need it mate :)

........"what has a Defender and the Titanic got in common.....same turning circle,Titanic was more waterproof"

I got a landrover series 2 in 1990 i have still got it (19 years) it have never broke down i drive it evey day and go over the place and go off road the landy was made in 1960 ,all you got to do is look after them if you looked after your landcruiser it might last a few years.. andy.:deadhorse:

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
landyandy the oztent is awsome!, got it off ebay for £300:lmao:

asked him how much to buy it now, expecting to pay £450 - 500.
he said £300 delivered!!!!! got all the sides etc too.

everyone who sees it is impressed

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Funny... people always level that criticism at Land Rover, yet it's the plastic fantastic Japanese tin that you see cluttering up scrap yards countrywide. Why is that?

...because dead landys are all over the countryside cluttering up farmyards, gardens and fields. :rolleyes:

86inch

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
Lincolnshire
Ignore anything about unreliability... misinformation spread by Toyota fans - and i'm not knocking Toyotas.. nothing wrong with them really.
I've had Land Rovers for decades, Series Ones, IIs, IIIs, 90s, a Discovery 300TDI and currently a 110 300TDI and all have been utterly reliable... Ironically, the only vehicle i have had that was a total pile of rubbish was Japanese (Subaru Outback)!

People forget how long they last.... It's not exactly unnacceptable to have something fail on a 20+ year old vehicle!

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
...because dead landys are all over the countryside cluttering up farmyards, gardens and fields. :rolleyes:

:lmao:

My mate has 4 different types of Landy in his drive - not one works, however, he's spent every spare penny and waking moment on them he's far too attached to let them go..he'd let the wife and kids leave first !!!

In fairness, if you look after anything, whatever the make, it will last. When I had my 110 every time I got a few quid put aside the clutch or gearbox, joints, brakes, something would pack up and rape my savings, a pattern emerged over 7 or 8 years and it had to go, I've had a VW for 3 years now without the attention seeking dramas the Landy subjected me to.

I did over 120,000 miles in mine up and down the country and once drove from Hereford to the Isle of Skye and back in the middle of winter with the usual lack of heating and leaking only a loving 110 can give, saying that, I was on a task recently and the client provided LR 90's with heated seats !!

:bigok:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've had Land Rovers for decades, Series Ones, IIs, IIIs, 90s, a Discovery 300TDI and currently a 110 300TDI and all have been utterly reliable... Ironically, the only vehicle i have had that was a total pile of rubbish was Japanese (Subaru Outback)!

People forget how long they last.... It's not exactly unnacceptable to have something fail on a 20+ year old vehicle!

Me too. Series 11s through to 110 then the Defender. Then I went Toyota. Now, the LC is NOT as competent off road. Its very, very competent but not quite up to LR standards, BUT name me a Defender owner who can drive a car for 10 years, on road and off, and, beyond routine servicing, have a parts bill that amounts to change from a ten pound note (to be precise, two bulbs in 10 years).

The build quality on the Toyota is biblically superior to Land Rover. I like them both and if I could afford it, would own both. The Defenders are slightly more competent work horses, but, for most of us, the Yota wins on comfort and build quality (not to mention vastly superior handling on road). I don't mean people who want a hobby car, but people who use them every day. I had a long chat with the gamekeeper here once and his invective about the amount of time he had lost due to LR breakdowns was...startling. He also hated the inability to get warm when working offroad, all day, everyday. He now has pickups and plain wouldn't go back. As he says "if its that inaccessible, I'll take a quad or the Argo....they'll go places no car can go. I can carry more, more accesibly, in the truck, I can change backs to carry dogs, feed sacks or tools. MOst importantly, I don't spend days getting the bloody thing fixed all the time. I turn the key and it goes."

Love the LRs to bits, but they just aren't built properly. You shouldn't have to be a mechanic who can do a proper underseal just to own a car. It should be build properly to begin with!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I like the very reasoned argument put by British Red.
What he does mention is the superior capability 'off road' which in some, not all, cases is what swings the choice. The biggest for me was the 'biblical' price difference (I like that term!)of a Toyota against the LR.:D
If I had to pay £35k for a work truck I really would expect the two light bulb costs over ten years.
I admit that even my new 110 has had its faults but for a purpose built vehicle it is good value.
Finally, I truly dread long journeys in it! But it is a long way from the days when I had a 'Super Ser' four bar gas heater strapped in the back of a 1947 LR to keep dog and I warm.:rolleyes:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Been there done that and got the T shirt, used to have a series III now I have a Mitsubishi Pajero.

Well at least the heater works.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Been there done that and got the T shirt, used to have a series III now I have a Mitsubishi Pajero.

Well at least the heater works.

The heater works in my 2004 defender too, but then it's not 40 years old. :rolleyes:

It doesnt leak either - perhaps I should send it back?

Why do people expect trucks built in 1965 to compare favourably against something built in 2005? Why are people surprised that a 20 year old truck with 150,000 miles on it, needs maintenance? Why do people expect a £20,000 farm tractor to be as comfortable as a £35,000 motorway cruiser?

Land Rover's are what they are. If on the road comfort is your priority, buy a Mercedes, if reliability is your priority, buy a Toyota, but comparing a Land Rover to these is a like comparing apples with oranges and moaning because your apple isn't orange enough. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Land Rover's are what they are. If on the road comfort is your priority, buy a Mercedes, if reliability is your priority, buy a Toyota, but comparing a Land Rover to these is a like comparing apples with oranges and moaning because your apple isn't orange enough. :rolleyes:

What about comparing a 70 Series Land Cruiser to a Defender 110 that's a fair comparison surely?

I agree comparing a 80 series or 100 series landcruiser to a Defender is not strictly apples with apples...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
What about comparing a 70 Series Land Cruiser to a Defender 110 that's a fair comparison surely?

I agree comparing a 80 series or 100 series landcruiser to a Defender is not strictly apples with apples...

Not really, not unless you are either comparing brand new vehicles, or vehicles that have had similar lives. A 10 year old land rover with 100,000 farm miles is likely to be in a very different condition to a 10 year old "company" land cruiser with 100,000 motorway miles. Even then, the purpose of the vehicle is different. You wouldn't buy an aeroplane and then complain that is doesnt make a very good boat.

Land Rovers are designed as off road vehicles before anything else. That is what they are built for. If you want to compare them with something, then you have to compare them as off-road vehicles. If you want to compare your Land Cruiser to something, then the nearest thing from Land Rover would be a Discovery.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got a defender county, well, i've got 2, one working and one not and thus it sits here for spares. It's a j reg, so I think that's 91? it leaks like a sieve and for the most part i don't care, the kids do sometimes when they're getting wet bums in the back but that's part of growing up, or so i keep telling them :D

I love my landy, i was thinking about selling it on last year until i had to pull a concrete lorry out of mud last year with my winch, doing that was brilliant and helped me decide not to sell it. But, if someone came along with a half decent older LC Amazon i'd probably go for it. The reason i say older is that i want a motor that we can walk all over without worrying about the paint, dents etc, for that the Landy is excellent, it's tough, rugged and who cares if i whack it with something i'm carrying. It pulls my big trailer without too much problem (it gets heavy :D)

if i could afford a newer one i'd probably stay with them, mine have been reliable and having the 200tdi's means i can do a lot of the work myself. Saying that the newer ones have less seats, we've got the full 12 whihc is a downside (having less seats)

My mate and i were laughing the other day because we both got out of the car with the same wet foot and we loved it.....bit weird i know.

So, i'm all for landies but i would consider a LC amazon.......8 seater.....Umm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE