Just completed my first kitchen knives

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi folks.

Just got these two finished today. A couple of carving knives for the kitchen.

Unfortunately i only got them completed a few minutes before the chap collected them so i could only snap a couple of quick pics before they went. The weather was horrible outside so the pics aint as good as they should be. Shame really as i don't think they flatter the knives at all.

They are both in 2.5mm 12C27, one is handled in Yew, the other in Mallee Burl. The boxes were made by Elliot (Darkwoodecho) and they are fantastic. Very good quality indeed. I made the brass plaques, Elliot fitted them and i then etched the initials into them.

I don't think they turned out too bad at all for a first try. :)

Thanks for looking :)
Mark

P1020541_zps94b18660.jpg

P1020537_zps901f8da7.jpg

P1020536_zps7c1b46e2.jpg

P1020535_zpsb4b34fd2.jpg

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
They look very good. May I ask, when you drill in Yew, or file and sand it for that matter, do you wear protection? I ask because I have some nice bits laying around but I'm a little bit scared of them:eek:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Shame you didn't get shots you're happy with, I think there should be an obligitory few days of drooling over a recently finished object before it goes to its new home, specially when they look so good ;)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks folks :)

Red- the chap wanted some nice wood, and he has been warned not to put them in the dishwasher. He only wants them for carving the sunday roast. :)

Niels, yeah i wear a dust mask mate. I once got a lung full of yew dust, wasnt nice for a week or so, but it wont kill ya.....yet :) Eating it might :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Red- the chap wanted some nice wood, and he has been warned not to put them in the dishwasher. He only wants them for carving the sunday roast. :)

And beautiful they are.....would like to see a full set of kitchen knives by you though......lets face it they get more use than field knives.....I am too old to "baby" my kitchen knives so I thought....well you get the idea ;)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks Steve. :)

Red - I'll make a full set at some point, need to design the rest though. How many would you call a full set? The standard is 5, but no one ever really uses them all. And a 5 knife set would set someone back a fair whack. I do like the idea of making the set and a knife block all out of the same materials ( handle wise). Now you've got me thinking again.... :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done Mark, I wish I'd thought of something similar for when my father-in-law retired from butchering

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Steve. :)

Red - I'll make a full set at some point, need to design the rest though. How many would you call a full set? The standard is 5, but no one ever really uses them all. And a 5 knife set would set someone back a fair whack. I do like the idea of making the set and a knife block all out of the same materials ( handle wise). Now you've got me thinking again.... :)

I use....loads....regularly :eek:

If I had to have just 5

10" triangular chefs knife
8" Carving knife
6" boning knife (narrow jobby)
3" paring knife
Serrated bread knife

I do use a 6" chefs knife a heck of a lot as well as a big Sheffield butchers knife (for halving chickens and pigeons and the like) and a 12" ham knife occasionally. Be good to throw in a butchers steel and maybe an ulu type chopper......

I wondered if you made a selection, people could pick their own sets?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cheers guys.

Red - I'll have a play with more designs when i get time, januarys gonna be a struggle though :)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Beautiful Mark :cool: really nice.
I wonder how many of us neglect our kitchen knives compared to our field knives? I have to hold my hand up to having a block of dull kitchen knives :eek:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cheers guys :)

Elliot - I only just got them finished before i got the pics up. Took a while to get them right :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE