Just completed my first fishing net

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Fenlander said:
I seem to recall Ed saying that red is the best colour for nets.......is that right ED?
For gill nets in rivers and fresh water you are correct... I was taught this by an old poacher..... but it was Stuart that told me the science behind it. It all has to do with the paticles in the water and the contrast.... red is the first colour of the spectrum you loose as you go under the water. I'm sure Stuart can give you the full scientific explaination if you ask him.

Nice work by the way :)

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
leon-b said:
why cant you use it in england?
Because it would be illegal to do so in the UK. You can only legaly use a gill net if you have a license granted to you by the EA, and unless you work for a fishery or are part of a scientific research team you are unlikely to be granted a license.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
BTW, what would you normally use for floats
I dont use a gill net at all..... that would be illegal, but I have a monofilament gill net for demo/teaching purposes which has been set with old re-cycled wine corks as floats..... But anything that floats will work. I have seen them set with coke bottles (small size, not the big 1-1.5l), which work great if you are using the net on the coast.

On a side note, if you fancy making one with monofilament fishing line, dont forget to double knot (same knot, just do it twice) as singled knotted line tend to become loose over time.

Ed

Ed said:
I dont use a gill net at all..... that would be illegal,
Ed

I realise that.....poor use of words, sorry mate! :eek:

Ed said:
On a side note, if you fancy making one with monofilament fishing line, dont forget to double knot (same knot, just do it twice) as singled knotted line tend to become loose over time.

Ed

Yeh, I also made a net out of the inner lines of 550 parachute cord and found my knots kept coming lose before I'd finished making it :(

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
What makes it a gill net? Is it the size of the holes? Is a smaller mesh legal then?
Well by deffinition, a gill net is a net designed to catch fish by the gills (which get caught up in the mesh).... but the term is commonlyused for any net that is used for fish that is set out accross a river or stream to catch anything in its path.... as opposed to a net which is dragged through water or thrown by hand.

Ed

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Ed said:
For gill nets in rivers and fresh water you are correct... I was taught this by an old poacher..... but it was Stuart that told me the science behind it. It all has to do with the paticles in the water and the contrast.... red is the first colour of the spectrum you loose as you go under the water. I'm sure Stuart can give you the full scientific explaination if you ask him.

I'd like to hear that explanation, if it doesn't bore anybody else. Stuart, if you are listening and not busy.....:)

Nice net :). It would take quite some natural cordage though! I certainly wouldn't have the patience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE