Just a thought.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
My Nan always had a tin of paraffin in the porch with kindling standing in it for lighting the coal fire.

The kindling was made from old railway sleepers that my brother and I had to saw and split whenever we were there on holiday.

I don't know what age it was that I started that job but it was pretty young.

She used to use paper splints for the gas and clean the chimney by putting a loose sheet of newspaper over the coals, lighting it and letting it float up the chimney, flash burning the soot on the way. Did it every day so it didn't build up. Never had to get the sweep in.

She was a canny old girl.

thanks for the reminder Wayland - my grandparents used the burning sheet of newspaper up the chimney too, I'd forgotten all about that.

I still use the knotted newspaper to light the fire - don't see the point in buying firefighters when these work fine. Often use them to light the Kelly kettle as well but I've never tried them as the sole fuel like Toddy has. Will have to give it a go - always got plenty of old newspapers hanging around.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Do they still sell Imps for clearing soot out of flues? Basic material in them was saltpetre.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Do they still sell Imps for clearing soot out of flues? Basic material in them was saltpetre.

Aye the local ironmonger still had little fire imp packets when I was in last month. High percentage of working fireplaces here.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I don't think we have too much to worry about. Vaping may catch on here but there are still plenty of other countries where it isn't that popular, so you will be able to source cheap lighters from there. Ebay will always have plenty coming from china anyway for cheap.

Tonyuk

i guess it will not really effect me- i have'nt lit a campfire with modern methods* since 4years and recently even used a bowdrill to light a candle.... .my main means of firemaking is my"raku raku striker" and a piece of flint from my last trip to OZ over 2years ago-- the "L"- word is actually forbidden around me:cool: ! (during my childhood matches were used to light wood/coal stoves (=for heating) and the gas stove in the kitchen but gas stoves these days come with in-built piezo starters... . i met a woman in korea last year who was actually not even able to use a "L....." anymore- despite burning all sorts of garbage outside in the mornings)

*= no ferrorods for me...

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Of course newspapers are on the way out too!

Funny you should say that, we have to ask the neighbours to save theirs for us (along with egg boxes, jam jars and wine bottles).

They are getting used to me explaining how recycling is bad for the environment :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I find the I pads just don't catch a spark as well ;)

I'm always grabbing old magazines etc. to put down when dying leather as it's ages since anyone has bought an actual paper.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You need one hand to hold down the knob on the gas stove.

No flint and steel for me, at least not until I grow an extra arm.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Is there a secret hope behind these types of threads, that we get to experience some sort of societal collapse in our lifetimes? :) I know I do, as callous as that sounds.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Personally I'm happy with our modern society, it's doctors and medicines have saved me and my loved ones lives on a number of occasions.

I suspect that we may harbour a secret smugness that we could cope without some of the luxuries that most have come to depend on though.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Brain fog. Ive just remembered why all mine are safety matches, because thats all they'll let you on the aircraft with.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I really enjoy post-apocalyptic novels and read loads but have no hankering for a walk through a blasted landscape with or without biters after my blood. Of course, on the water or in the woods etc. one can feel like the last person on Earth and enjoy the passing experience. I suppose it is a sort of Experiential Futurism similar to what is known as Experiential Archaeology. Means of ignition are important elements always. Passage in John Christopher's The World in Winter where our hero is in the British Library and one of the few remaining chilly scholars asks him if he can give him a match, showing that he had an empty matchbox with striking surface. The request was denied even though he could have helped and felt guilty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE