Jungle Parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
John From Survival Wisdom (who I make the DSK Wisdom Edge knife for their Survival tin)

With his other hat on as Chief Instructor from the DSTO's (Defence SERE Training Organisation)

Asked if I could make a modern version of the jungle parang with a full tang (the blades fly out of the local made ones)
oh and needs it in about 3 weeks as hes of to run the Next Jungle Survival Instructor Training Cadre. Training the next gen of jungle instructors in Brunei.

No pressure then :eek: :D

Then about a week later ...... Can I have 2 the Australian army instructor on exchange fancies one :rolleyes:

so a quick flurry of Design emails and we have profile and some basic ideas and limitations due to time

Blade shape and angle etc is a direct copy of Johns local made Parang this is 500mm long handle is fairly smooth in profile to allow lots of grip options
material is 75Cr1 spring steel in 3/16" for a lightish fast blade

Laser cutting took longer than quoted ( as usual :rolleyes:)
Chris Grant did a great fast turn around on the HT edge quench and tempered to 55 Rc

and got them to me Thursday (John flys next Saturday :eek: So ive been busy over the Jubilee weekend )

made up one quick for Johns approval

parangproto750.jpg

parangprotohandle750.jpg

parangprotohandleprofile500.jpg

this is std Coyote Brn G10 3/8" thick which is ok but I felt it needed a bit more meat to grip

came in at 752gms and balance point 50mm in front of the handles

For the 2 For John

No 1
Ive used the same CB G10 but packed it up with 2.25mm Olive Drab Kydex liners and put a little more shape in the handle.
it also needed a groove in the front to give the Kydex some thing to grip and stop it rattling about (there is also a Cam grip on the blade tip)
Scales are bolted on with 5 sets 1/4" stainless stand offs and blacked stainless Torx Bolts
This one is in matching CB kydex with a basic webbing loop for now

dpacb750.jpg

dpacbhandle500.jpg

No 2

This is 3/8" Multi cam G10 glued to 4mm black G10 to make up the thickness bolted on with 4 Bolts as above and has a lanyard hole
Sheath as above but in Olive Drab kydex

dpamulti750.jpg

dpamultihandle500.jpg

the pair

dpaboth750.jpg

dpabothb487.jpg

Luckily I have kydex in big enough sheets for these as they needs 2off 5" x 17" bits
and my large press was actually used ;)
tho I did have to resort to the house oven to fit them into heat up

dpakydexmouldcoyotee600.jpg

So hopefully these get posted Wednesday and of to the jungle next weekend for a good thrashing to see if any changes are needed

there are some that will happen any way but i didnt have time to get done

not bad for a Rush job

ATB

Duncan

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oooooh, if you slightly ground down the last couple of inches were blade meets handle, then I think it would work well for me too. Although, it may well work for me just as it is.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Dunc, see where your hand is from where your index finger starts right to your palm above the first bolt. If you took that areas diameter down by shaving 5mm off top and bottom, then you would have my perfect parang. I like a thinner area for finer choking holds right there.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice work Duncan. The parang looks good. :)

Not a fan of the outline of the sheath though, but thats just my tastes, other than that though, good work mate. :)

Dunc, see where your hand is from where your index finger starts right to your palm above the first bolt. If you took that areas diameter down by shaving 5mm off top and bottom, then you would have my perfect parang. I like a thinner area for finer choking holds right there.

Yes no problem

And I'll be the first to ask: are you going to sell these?

Depends on if they work and if John lets me and they definatly need to be made in a batch to get a sensible price

ATB

Duncan

these are now in the hands of Royal mail

but I did add a para cord wrap to the sheath 7m which the scallops hold firm
and looks like it might offer a Mollie fixing for small pouches ?????

dpaparamollie750.jpg

and if you want a small companion blade for more delicate work a XL Camp nessy piggy backs nicley :O:D:ninja:

dpadnkpiggy700.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE