Jungle Parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 11, 2012
USA
Check mine out. Quite beautiful with a burl wood handle. 19" overall length with a 13" blade from 6150 steel. Weight is 1.5lbs. Hardness is 58-60.

6307306_orig.jpg

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dunc, see where your hand is from where your index finger starts right to your palm above the first bolt. If you took that areas diameter down by shaving 5mm off top and bottom, then you would have my perfect parang. I like a thinner area for finer choking holds right there.

I really like the look of your blades and just love the creativity of the sheaths. Haven' t seen anything this interesting for years, its been so Ho Hum.

I agree with Jonathan not just for fine work but also for weight. How does your parang compare weight- wise with the local one used as a template?

I really like the look of your blades and just love the creativity of the sheaths. Haven' t seen anything this interesting for years, its been so Ho Hum.

I agree with Jonathan not just for fine work but also for weight. How does your parang compare weight- wise with the local one used as a template?

Hi

Not sure on Johns own for weight and balance but this one does have a thicker neck and obviously the full tang which will pull the C of G back however the handle stop does mean you can grip a little further back which should help a little also the G10 is probably heavier than the wood tho doesn't have the usual large lump stop

here vis the Original profile John sent me and with the 1st off handle design i did which got the front smoothed out for more grip options for the prototype run

parang1.jpg

and the current handle

parang2.jpg

This is primarily a Army Jungle warfare/ SERE blade so Ive made it a little stronger but am conscious of getting weight down and importantly weight distribution right But it will also need a limit to keep cost down so i cant do lots of tapering etc
John will try it himself and all his instructor team/ students and the have some local jungle experts who have grown up with a parang as a daily tool to test it
then I expect a refining of the design still based on the intended customer.

John is happy for this to be available for me to sell generally ( knife o kit etc) and those sales will help subsidies to a small degree sales to military personnel
the civy jobs can be customized much further if needed as long as it doesn't affect he military version cost wise ie i can grind metal off ;)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... How does your parang compare weight- wise with the local one used as a template?

If that's similar to the lightest of the ones from Borneo that I have (well, strictly speaking if it's the wife's one) then it weighs something like 425g-450g. It's made from fairly thin stock, about 3mm. The heaviest ones in this style are probably in the region of 850-950g, broader blades from thicker material. Nothing's set in stone because they're all hand-made one-offs and a lot depends on what materials happen to be available.

Weights are excluding sheath. They all punch above their weight, the smallest ones well above.

I wanted to try and add a little more functionality for fine work to the blade you can choke up on the neck and use the edge close to the hand easily as your now holding the balance point in your hand but a point is always a useful thing to have

so i thought about a small beak point which Chris Grant uses on his SFK for similar reasons

[video=youtube;9KtXu7HForg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KtXu7HForg&feature=plcp[/video]

So with Chris's Permission Ive put a similar feature on to the parang to see if its any advantage

Holding the front the handle sits nicely (due to the bend) in the crook of your elbow to take the weight

Oh ive also been testing my new sand blaster on this blade its a little crude at the moment

bladtetchtip500.jpg

bladtetch700.jpg

Look pretty similar to the Turley Knifes SERE Bolo...

yes looks similar it is pretty much the customers design on shape for that one ive only tweaked it a little but all kukri based knives have a similar look

Turley does do a very nice progressive Convex grind

Im hoping to do my own DWB kukri design as its a knife I've used for many years but will be using thee handle on this Parang as a starter as i prefer the infinite grip options a simple grip shape gives as apposed to forcing you to use a limited few by over shaping handles .

Just need to decide how much belly to use

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE