Jungle kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 16, 2007
I am looking for some jungle type boots and the ones that I have found range from £30 to £125.

The low end ones are looking a bit dodgy and not quite what I am looking for.

Was thinking would desert boots do the job just aswell, what would my learned friends think.

Answers on a postcard

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The Jungle ones have purpose built holes to let water out, the early UK Military version of the Desert Boot had the same set up, I don't know if they still produce them

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I was jungle trekking I used Magnum Hot weather boots and was very comfortable.
I needed stuff I could wear in multiple environments and these boots are still going strong.

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
I have used Jungle boots in Belize and Guatemala, they were issue boots made by ro-search, they were excellent, and certainly made for that enviroment, there are alot of fake jungle boots on the market that are very poor quality, look at ro-search and altama (i think) are the official suppliers to the forces. If you choose to go down the civilian route look for boots that don't have any insulation or padding as these will take days to dry out.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Trainers.

I worked as an anti-poaching ranger in the Cambodian rainforest and I'd just wear trainers if I went again, boots are hot heavy and die. All the poachers wore these rubber addidas studded things, if they made them in my size I would of got them!

Tried Keens and leech socks but got too much grit and splinters.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Emigrating to Australia so will be doing lots in the rain forests of north queensland.

Well Uncle Les wore his GPs to walk around scrounging his Polynesian arrowroot. Last time I was in OZ you could get a pair of GPs in the army surplus stores quite easily.

You mentioned desert boots. The Japanese Guards and 5th division in Malaya wore a variety of footwear including rubber shoes like the kampong shoes Johan and Bandel talk about.

They also wore desert boots like these made of suede and a , I think, pig skin lining.

DSCN2190.jpg

DSCN2127.jpg

They also had a flexible sole with "studs" in them

DSCN2126.jpg

The British Indians and Australians had dreadful kit and wondered how the Japanese moved so well in the jungle always out flanking them. Japs were the invincible jungle fighters till stopped on the Kokoda trail by Aussies who I believe had received the jungle boot from the Americans by then.

I think DBs are a good compromise and you wont look out of place when in town.

Dec 16, 2007
Got myself a pair of magnum jungle boots. Spoke to the sales rep at magnum, which is just down the road from me, and he said they no longer make the jungle as they have replaced it with the elite spyder.

Got mine for £25 off evil bay better than the £80 for the spyders. Will see how they fit. Also Bear Grylls has used them not that made my mind up. ;-)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
im not so keen on the new spyder they seem like moon boots or something to me, however i have rescently got me a pair of response 8's and they are very comfortable and also easy to put on with the zip. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
im not so keen on the new spyder they seem like moon boots or something to me, however i have rescently got me a pair of response 8's and they are very comfortable and also easy to put on with the zip. :)

I have tried most of the Magnum range - and like them all!
However.....
I found the Jungle boots did not fit my (wide) foot as well as some of the others.
The zips on the zip ups were great but the zip did not last as long as the rest of the boots...The Spiders I loved - but Magnum had some quality control issues (or something) and a lot of the early ones had splits apear at fold or stitching points....
Amazons - black or desert - are supurb!

Dec 16, 2007
They say the boots Im getting are a wide fit. I am a regular to wide so hope they fit better than the wellco ones I had that just blistrered up my litte toes.

I had some magnum stealths double zip. The zip broke way before the boot gave up. will not touch zips unless they are the ones you lace in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE