Jungle boots question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I'm thinking of getting a pair of jungle boots for ordinary hiking. I like the idea as they are, from my understanding at least, light, quick to dry, and have a tread which is good in muddy conditions.
The questions I have, though, are:

What is the panama sole like on grass, dry terrain, and rocky terrain?

Is the goretex reversed (I read somewhere that in jungle conditions, due to humidity, goretex needs to be the opposite way around to work - don't know if this is right or not, though).

Does the goretex upper provide enough ankle support?

Would the goretex version be waterproof in bad conditioned if the two drain points in the side were blocked with seam sealent (See goretex question above)?

thanks

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope. The originals were canvas; now they're balistic nylon. Definitely NOT Goretex. And definitely not waterproof. As for whether they have enough ankle support; well they were worn by paratroopers (not designed as jump boots but they were popular as such) I've jumped in them (sport jump)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
IMO

fine on all surfaces though its a solid heel and the boot is best with out socks,

as above, its not gortex its a canvas type stuff, not water proof at all by design, it lets water in and out easily so you don't get foot rot(hopefully)

as above its not gotex, but its supportive enough again IMO

Its still not gortex:p

hope this helps:D

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
There are better lightweight boots out there, i do miss my jungles. The altberg sneekers are better and even come in a aqua version.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I really don't know, I don't see what is wrong with sandals myself ( Merrel, Keen, Teva etc.) if you are going for the ultimate in lightweight. It is like the original US Jungle boots vs Ho Chi Minh Sandals (the type made from car tyres) I don't suppose one was better than the other, it was more to do with attitude.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Jungle boots are designed to get saturated and let water out of the boot as fast as possible ( for a boot) they make no pretence at being waterproof. If you wear them in temperate climes in wet conditions your feet will get wet. Fine if you dont mind that happening...

I personally don't mind getting wet feet it's part of the deal tramping here in NZ with frequent stream and river crossings when out tramping. so I've given up on waterproof boots for most bush stuff these days and gone for a breathable fast drying boot with no goretex etc.

6606963a.jpg

23066c78.jpg

Given there are a heap of desert type boots floating around currently I am using both the LOWA Desert Elite and also a civilianised version of the Meindl Desert Fox both boots have been fine both are wearing well, dry quickly and drain water fast. The Meindls are probably a bit lighter... The LOWA's seem more suited to rock and scree etc...

That might be a suggestion but TBH neither drain as quickly as a true jungle boot.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
If you want jungle boots make sure you get the Milspec ones - ideally direct from Altama or another manufacturer. The Milspec ones have a leather insole - take the footbed out and check. The cheaper ones have a synthetic insole and are not as tough.
I was mis-sold a pair - alledging they were milspec by a well known UK army surplus place in London - and the shank in one of the boots crapped out after a month of fairly hardcore trekking in Borneo. Altama sell milspec AND vulcanized jungle boots which are way cheaper.
The panama sole is REALLY good for grip on jungle roots and in the environments I have been in, better than the Vibram sole that I had on a pair of Altberg jungles. The Altamas are $115 - and the Altbergs are probably £115 - no contest even with shipping and if you had to pay duty too. I think the Altamas are a better lighter boot, but the Altbergs would be better for the NZ bush stuff that Johnboy mentions.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
jungle boots are ace, but as above, not waterproof, they are meant to drain quickly and perform very well at this, i've had countless pairs of jungles and deserts made by altama and belleville. they are superb, mold to your foot size very well, ive had regular and medium fit and both have been comfortable. old ones are canvas and leather, new ones are nylon and leather, better versions have a padded cuff.
the sole is designed for jungles, and ive found that its the sole that wears out first and have binned many a pair due to this. the americans found this when they deployed to gulf war 1 with the desert version, it is the same boot but in suede and without the water vents. they have a thin lining too. the soles wore thru very quickly, and is why they developed harder wearing boots for further desert conflicts.

i miss my boots, but, i wouldn't use them for UK hiking, having said that, John Geddes wrote a book called 'spearhead assault' about his falklands war experiences in a patrols, and he wore jungle boots in that conflict, and as we know the weather was terrible, arctic winds, muddy wet moorland and mountain terrain, and he states that the boots drainage properties meant he was one of the few who didn't suffer trench foot. he did however, not mind getting cold and wet feet!
personally, i can do without a shallow stream in freezing conditions soaking my feet at the start of an outing. but.....they don't have all the padding to soak and make them heavy.

swings...and...roundabouts!

they do become like hi-leg slippers for the outdoors mind, and summer woodland use they are fine. oh and jungles...deffo think they are suitable for jungles. something in the name.

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i've also heard they can smell? never have i ever had either desert or jungle boots smell even after prolonged hot weather use. they always smell of leather and nothing else. grrr, i feel like my wallets going to groan about this reminicing!

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
johnboy, those meindls look the mutts nuts, do you know what model they are?
Jungle boots are designed to get saturated and let water out of the boot as fast as possible ( for a boot) they make no pretence at being waterproof. If you wear them in temperate climes in wet conditions your feet will get wet. Fine if you dont mind that happening...

I personally don't mind getting wet feet it's part of the deal tramping here in NZ with frequent stream and river crossings when out tramping. so I've given up on waterproof boots for most bush stuff these days and gone for a breathable fast drying boot with no goretex etc.

6606963a.jpg

23066c78.jpg

Given there are a heap of desert type boots floating around currently I am using both the LOWA Desert Elite and also a civilianised version of the Meindl Desert Fox both boots have been fine both are wearing well, dry quickly and drain water fast. The Meindls are probably a bit lighter... The LOWA's seem more suited to rock and scree etc...

That might be a suggestion but TBH neither drain as quickly as a true jungle boot.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
jungle boots...the sole is designed for jungles, and ive found that its the sole that wears out first and have binned many a pair due to this. the americans found this when they deployed to gulf war 1 with the desert version...

Actually the sole wasn't a problem in the 1st Gulf War. The boots from that era never lasted long enough for the soles to wear out; the stitching dry-rotted and the boots fell apart in the desert climate (just like most of our clothing)

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for that. I got the impression they were goretex sided from the pair I was looking at on ebay. Hmmm. i wonder if it was a genuine mistake or a bit of a porkie.
I was actually thinking of getting them for use as hiking and wading boots (means I can take breathable, stocking foot waders in my backpack on an up and coming camping/fishing trip to Scotland, hike in the boots and then wear them in the water. It would mean I don't have to take two pairs of boots. I'd probably wear goretex socks while hiking, to keep my feet dry (hopefully). So in that respect, I suppose they'd be a good choice.
I'm guessing if they're designed for the wet, there wouldn't be a problem with having them under water, a lot?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ooof I personally would not recommend gtex socks for walking, I find they boil my feet so much so they would be dryer under water, I have worn gtex sock three times for trundles around 10 ish miles thinking it would be okay as it was warm last time i wore them and every time my feet have been horrid sweaty things, oly wear them with flip flops to go to the loo at night :)

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
afarid its the same story everywhere, lowest bidder gets the contract, sad really when so much money is invested in the training and logistics, the weak links always include kit. anyway, how do you rate the boots?
Actually the sole wasn't a problem in the 1st Gulf War. The boots from that era never lasted long enough for the soles to wear out; the stitching dry-rotted and the boots fell apart in the desert climate (just like most of our clothing)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
afarid its the same story everywhere, lowest bidder gets the contract, sad really when so much money is invested in the training and logistics, the weak links always include kit. anyway, how do you rate the boots?

I liked them (other than the above mentioned problems in the Gulf War) very well. However I like the newer boots better. We went first from the jungle boots to Magnum High Techs and then to a Corcoran boot that was essentially the same thing with a military (paratroop) safe speed lacing eye. Since I've retired they've changed a few more times.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
johnboy, those meindls look the mutts nuts, do you know what model they are?

Yep they are Desert Foxes. But in Sage Green not Desert Tan... A really, really good boot especially if you ditch the crapola insoles as supplied and fit a pair of super feet.

The sage green ones were sold here in NZ mainly aimed at the hunting fraternity. I havent seen any on sale for a while so they may have stopped doing them here...

HTH

VFR800Essex

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2012
Essex UK
Get a pair of these bad boys. :)

JungleBrown.jpg

I've got two pairs of Altbergs and they are marvellous! I've also got Lowa and in my opinion the Altbergs are better boots. And they're British. HOORAHH!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE