Jungle boots question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
cheers johnboy, will give those a closer look when my current boots and i part company. if i picked up a pair of army desrt foxes, the type that are all over ebay, is that the same boot? or does the army one differ from a civvy one?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
cheers johnboy, will give those a closer look when my current boots and i part company. if i picked up a pair of army desrt foxes, the type that are all over ebay, is that the same boot? or does the army one differ from a civvy one?

I don't think the Army one differs at all from the Civvy one.. In fact I'm not sure if they offered the Civvy one to many markets at all. The only difference between mine and the Issue ones on the bay is the colour.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
cheers for that. i've been tempted, but with funds as they are i've not gone for them, but if you rate them thats a good starter. certainly a good make. cheers again.
I don't think the Army one differs at all from the Civvy one.. In fact I'm not sure if they offered the Civvy one to many markets at all. The only difference between mine and the Issue ones on the bay is the colour.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The "canvas" or "goretex" on jungle boots is cordura, I believe. Feels like it.

Eric Haney http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_L._Haney says in his book that he wore JBs during his SF/ Delta Force selection in the Uwharrie mountains for the advantages it gave him over those in regular boots

Interestingly a friend told me just two days ago he does not trust his Altbergs to keep him on a log while crossing streams in the jungle.

Hi Tec Magnums are great IMHO tho

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The "canvas" or "goretex" on jungle boots is cordura, I believe. Feels like it...

Hi Tec Magnums are great IMHO tho

The original jungle boots (back in the 60s/early 70s) were canvas; after that they switched to ballistic nylon; Cordura is just one of the brand name for said BN (there are generic makers now also)

I agree about High Techs.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I wore US military jungle boots for 20 years in the US Army. I have used the green canvas ones and the black nylon ones. They take some getting used to and they are pretty hard sole, no shock absorbtion. I still have the last ones I wore and some new ones I bought and I don't fit my old ones anymore and the new ones aren't fitting either. They are tough to get right!

They are ok on most terrain and surfaces. Not at all waterproof and they have drain holes to let water out, which also lets it in. I wore them without socks in the jungle and with light military wool blend socks in normal conditions. I have jumped them on countless military jumps, never had any ankle problems, even with full load of gear.

I would not recommend them as a hiking boot when there are so many other options that are so much more comfortable. The jungle boots are good in the jungle and tolerable for other conditions and if you are used to them, they are ok as daily footware. Hard to find the size that fits properly, they are never equal to my civilian shoe size.

I hike mostly with some Asolo Echo Canyon hikers, they are a mid weight, good ankle support and work well with a heavy pack. I never once got a blister in the Asolos and I couldn't count all the blisters I had over the years in the jungle boots.

So, unless you are planning a jungle trek, I would say get something besides jungle boots. Hope that helps.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wore US military jungle boots for 20 years in the US Army. I have used the green canvas ones and the black nylon ones. They take some getting used to and they are pretty hard sole, no shock absorbtion...

Depends on what you're used to. My "civilian" boots were (and are) cowboy boots. I've worked (humping paperwood blocks from 70 to 150 pounds all day), hunted, hiked and even swam in both and never had any trouble with either until I became diabetic. Now I sometimes have trouble with sneakers; but if my diabetes isn't bothering my feet then neither type boot gives me any trouble even now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE