jst wondering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ConorM

Oct 31, 2011
Glasgow
Off school today so I am being useful and cleaning the library shelves rather boring until i came across a book called the Arctic Manuel by Vilhjalmur Stefansson full of incredible information. after browsing through it I wondered are the skills used by these people who live in an extreme environment without bush .......bushcraft. :confused:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What a really interesting chap Vilhjalmur Stefansson was. Anything outdoors is called bushcraft these days.

PS, no text speak, plain English only as not all here have English as a first language.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
bush craft isn't about crafting a bush, its wilderness skills, native crafts, and what ever it means to you, much like a bus stop doesn't stop the bus, its merely a place where the bus may stop if the conditions presented are right:D

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
If you leave the house it's bushcraft, if you don't leave the house but you do something it's bushcraf.

The term i think was popularised south of the equator by Richard graves and North of the equator by Mors Kochanski, what these guys called bushcraft is purist bushcraft, now the term has no meaning.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think of bushcraft as crafted using natural materials found in situ.....or foraged there :)

It's the craft bit, as in skillful creation of useful things, that's the real meaning of bushcraft.
All the rest; the camping, the foraging and taking home to enhance the seasonal round of modern life, that's extra :)

To be honest though, in general terms the word covers such a huge scope of activities nowadays, my term seems kind of limited.

cheers,
Toddy

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It has a certain antipodean ring to it.

Australians and (I believe) South Africans collectively refer to anywhere wild as 'the bush'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE