job needed for a woodland critter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
having a bad week looking for a job..
preferable in some woods or in a place were i can "exsperiment" with trandional crafts... like living in a cave/ shack somewere..
any one seen/ herd of anything going lately...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about folks like these ?
http://www2.btcv.org.uk/
or trawl the websites for SNH and the like, they usually have places on teams doing work or research.
The pay's not good, but they put you up and feed you and you get out and about in some of the most beautiful places in the country :)

Hope you have better luck soon on the job front.

cheers,
Toddy

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
Cheers for the link toddy... havent come across those guys yet..
just get so brain dead from so many websites...
keep seeing places ide love to work up in scotland... but my area/ most of england is feutile

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are some weird and wonderful jobs about with folks like those.......one of the members ended up working on the hedgehog trapping in the Western Isles through SNH :D

Bound to be other folks with lots of good ideas coming along too :cool:

cheers,
M

p.s. what about your local agricultural college ? They sometimes know about (admittedly low paid) countryside courses or part time jobs. Even doing beating in season gets you out and about and making contacts.

M

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
thanks for the idea marry, didnt think of the college..
well had a look on the "local" agri college (about 30 miles) webs site... and sent them an email.. as the site had nothing...

starting to wish i lived in scotland...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To be honest I think it's hard all over just now.

I can only tell you what a friend who runs a heritage centre said to a student volunteer who wanted to do the things it sounds like you are interested in. "Keep fluid, take whatever training you are offered, especially if you don't have to pay for it, :) build up experience and contacts. Often work comes from folks who know you, know what kind of thing you're looking for/ are good at/ might be interested, and keep asking and looking. Build up an interesting resume. "

This is an awkward time of year for outdoors stuff, it's the end of the tourist season and a lot of place go to skelton staffs. It does mean however that sometimes the management have time to listen to people asking about coming to train and work later on :cool:

As I said, best of luck with it :D

cheers.
M

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have some idea how you feel, as my son works for a right so & so, at the moment, he phoned him yesterday, saying there had been a traffic accident and he was running late, the journey normaly takes him 45 minutes(took hour and a half) guy says ok no problem, when he got there, he was sent home, told no work today !.

Just keep looking(my son is), and good luck to you.

Rob

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
http://www.countryside-jobs.com/cjsdailyonline/main.htm

Try these, they collect most of the ads from other sources and put them in one place, plus a few extra ones too. They also include loads of those volunteer placements in mad places, that sound fun.

If also signed up with the local land based college doing a course, you could end up with a good paid job with the extra experience gained.

Good luck.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
This is an awkward time of year for outdoors stuff, it's the end of the tourist season and a lot of place go to skelton staffs. It does mean however that sometimes the management have time to listen to people asking about coming to train and work later on :cool:

agreed.

you'll find a lot of fruit farms and the like (which are usually in lovely places with woodland attached) will be recruiting NOW for next season.

for example...

http://www.craigies.co.uk/jobs.htm

which is near Edinburgh.

Cheers

Rob

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
thank you to every one who has sent in advise but the search goes on for now.
seems very one wants me to have "exspirence", but dosent want me to have the chance to gain it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE