Jelly?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
probably not the place to puit this but being in the forces and when on a long yomp(walk) i tend to eat raw jellt to keep my energy levels up. and was just wondering what do you do to keep energy levels high! ( its full of glucose and sugar)

jim

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
the British soldier during the Boar war and ww1 was issued jam/jelly as part of his rations...it offered a tasty treat to his bleak rations and conditions....vince g. 11b inf.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
the British soldier during the Boar war and ww1 was issued jam/jelly as part of his rations...it offered a tasty treat to his bleak rations and conditions....vince g. 11b inf.

Not quite that old but remember it being in the ration packs in Oz in the 70s.

Jam tins made a good delayed explosive device when place in someones elses fire. Not that I would ever do anything so foolish!

Came back to my hootchie one evening to find it had lost its water proof qualities and was perforated with holes from hot jam tin sharpnel after a visit by a saboteur.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Soreen malt loaf was a favourite when I was in the Army. I had a firend who could do the whole loaf in one sitting :eek:
i used to ba able to do that not tried for a while dont think i could do it now

As for me i now make my on rasin peanut and dried fruit mix with alsorts of stuf from critalized ginger choci razins buttons different nuts dried mango and loads of differnet stuff.

J*

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I like dried banana chips and tropical mix which is dried banana papaya pinaepple and coconut etc.
Although I havent had a sun dried banana for ages(looks like something you might step in but nice)

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I carry lots of individually packaged peanut butter and jam sarnies.
Nutella or the new Cadburys choc spread are also very good.
Once the sarnie is double wrapped in two individual sandwich bags it is pretty much indestructible.
They can be eaten one at a time and the sticky centre keeps them in one piece.
Also the filling is very stable and not temperature sensitive so I have no worries about
them going off too quickly.

Happy trails......torc.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire

I think this might be a bit of UK/US engilish. Jim is talking about what you would call raw Jello and not what we would call Jam or Jelly( basically Jam without the lumpy bits ;) ).

Jam is not that easy to eat on the move without the bread and butter (or peanut butter).

O

oilyrag

A big bag of dates, each date has 20-23 cals.

Great added to bannock with walnuts & honey, liven up a pigeon & rhubarb stew, don't make a mess of your kit, light, cheap and taste fantastic! I love'em!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Came back to my hootchie one evening to find it had lost its water proof qualities and was perforated with holes from hot jam tin sharpnel after a visit by a saboteur.

The same thing happened to me in Norway after my mate did me a favour by putting a can of treacle pudding on my kero heater while I was out.:rolleyes:

I also like to carry a snack pack of jellie babies.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
This whole thread reminds me of one of the biggest leathing I got as a kid. I kept nicking the raw jelly when my mum was cooking for a party even after being caught once. When it came to the trifle there was not enough left and none left in the pantry!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE